I come from an agricultural family. I love to cook and eat natural and healthy foods.
Whenever I make okra raita, I fondly recall my childhood days. When I was young, my mother used to pluck tender, fresh okra, popularly known as "lady's finger," from our own plants to make this dish for lunch. They were organic produce that were tasty and flavorful.
Okra raita is a very cool, easy-on-the-stomach dish. It is less spicy than most traditional dishes and is yogurt-based. People recommend eating it at the beginning of the meal to sooth the stomach. It's the perfect summer curry.
How to select tender okra in the market and how to store them:
Tender okra imparts an awesome flavor on this dish. Cut the tip of okra with your fingers. It should be tender and break easily. Select only those that break at the tip easily.
If you want to store them in the refrigerator, keep them dry in a plastic cover or container; otherwise, the moisture makes the okra dark. It is not advisable to keep okra at the back of the refrigerator, as it is the coldest area which may damage okra to turn dark. Anyway, you can store them for up to two days and they'll still be fresh.
- 2 cups okra(lady's finger), cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt or thick curds
- a pinch Hing/asafoetida powder
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee, for tempering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, for tempering
- 1/2 tsp black gram split/urad dal, for tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for tempering
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 red chili, for tempering
- 1 green chili, slit lengthwise
Step-By-Step Instructions and Pictures for Making Okra Raita
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Throw mustard seeds. Let it pop up. Add split black gram (urad dal). Saute till it turns golden.
- Add a pinch of asafetida powder. Drop curry leaves and slit green chili. Mix once.
- Add chopped okra. Stir-fry for a few minutes. If you find that the okra sticky, add 1/2 teaspoon of tamarind juice. This will prevent okra becoming sticky. Fry okra till soft. You can sprinkle few drops of water while cooking. Remove into a mixing bowl. Let it cool.
- Add yogurt/thick curds and salt. Mix well.
- Heat butter or ghee in a small pan. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add black gram split, curry leaves, and red chili. Transfer it on the raita when black gram turns golden. Mix well.
- Okra raita is ready to serve. Serve it with rice or with any other meal as a side dish.
The tempering added at the last stage of making raita is optional.
Md Hannan88 on March 30, 2017:
I just do not know what kind of this recipe. But I'm sure it's a very tasty meal. It has come to look at the tongue of water. If anyone would like it.
akinsman on March 30, 2017:
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on March 30, 2017:
Thanks for your lovely comments. You can use this raita with plain rice also.
Ashi on March 30, 2017:
I have never ever thought this recipe in my dream.
This is excellent raita recipe. I am sure going to try this with Biriyani or rice.
I am loving it :)