I love making tasty and nutritious dishes at home; it's a much healthier (and more cost-effective!) solution than going out to eat.
An Easy, Healthy Recipe For Your Family's Lifestyle
Basil and tomatoes go great together in a salad. This meal is quick and easy to make, and it can be made even tastier when it is marinated with olive oil.
- one bunch Basil, rinsed/leaves taken off of stem
- 1/2 bunch Parsley, rinsed/ leaves taken off of stems
- 6 large tomatoes, diced large
- pinch salt/pepper, tossed in
- 1/2 cup infused Extra virgin olive oil with herbs, poured in bowl
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, poured in bowl
- 4 small cloves of garlic, soaked in olive oil -flatten and chopped with a knife
Infused Olive Oil
Here are some easy how-to steps to infuse your own Extra Virgin Olive oil and save a ton of money. Store-bought infused olive oil can cost upwards of $18.00.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
One tomato/basil/dressing serves one person
Making the Salad
- Take the leaves off the stems of the parsley and the basil.
- Cut the tomatoes into large dice peices.
- Take the 4 garlic cloves and flatten under a knife then chop. Suzzycue likes garlic, so she left them whole and tossed in bowl.
- Pour in a half of cup of infused extra virgin olive oil and the quarter cup of cidar vinegar. Mix well, cover and let stand for 20 minutes before you serve it.
- Add salt and grind black pepper corns over top, when you serve this salad.
Change This Into What?
Susan Britton (author) from Ontario, Canada on March 19, 2013:
Oh Kathryn you need to marinate salads. I do the same with cucumbers, red onions and tomatoes. When you marinate it brings out the flavors and also keeps the veggies longer. Eat it at room temperature. You can use olive oil, oregano, basil, parsley, s/p, cider vinegar. Awesome stuff.
Kathryn from Windsor, Connecticut on March 18, 2013:
I have never marinated a salad before, I usually just put the salad dressing on it right before I eat it. I want to try this out! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.
Susan Britton (author) from Ontario, Canada on February 14, 2013:
Thank you Sueswan. I appreciate your comments.
Sueswan on February 14, 2013:
Looks delicious! Bookmarking and pinning.
Susan Britton (author) from Ontario, Canada on September 13, 2012:
It is and so simple to do. Thank you Always exploring give it a try you can infuse your own oil is so good and is ready in a week. Read https://delishably.com/grains/Spinach-Pesto-A-Tast...
Ruby Jean Richert from Southern Illinois on September 12, 2012:
Sounds real good to me...Thank's..
Susan Britton (author) from Ontario, Canada on September 12, 2012:
Thanks a lot Faith Reaper. Have a great day!
Faith Reaper from southern USA on September 11, 2012:
Sounds delicious. Excellent hub. Thanks for sharing this with us. In His Love, Faith Reaper
Susan Britton (author) from Ontario, Canada on September 11, 2012:
Thanks Susan for your comment. I made this yesterday and it is even better today.
Susan Zutautas from Ontario, Canada on September 11, 2012:
This sounds great! I'd leave the garlic cloves whole too :) Maybe even add a few more.