Char lives in Minnesota, where she enjoys experimenting in the kitchen and making yummy treats for her family.
Fried Corn With Bacon, Pepper, and Onion
In these parts, they call this dish "squaw corn." It's crispy fried bacon with peppers, onion, and corn fried in the bacon grease. It's not the most healthy dish in the world, but it's very flavorful.
Part of what makes this dish so good is that you use the bacon grease to cook your onions and peppers. When the onions start to brown, it's time to add your corn. The corn then caramelizes with the butter and bacon grease, and the sugars in the corn will merge into a delicious treat!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
2 servings (plus extra to freeze)
- 1 pound bacon, cut small and fried crispy
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob
Read More From Delishably
- Place the bacon into a frying pan and cook until browned. Transfer the crispy fried bacon to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, use the bacon grease to saute the onion and pepper. Continue to cook until the onion pieces start to turn a light brown color.
- Return the fried bacon to the pan and add the corn kernels. Stir to coat with the remaining bacon grease. Stir and fry until the corn is slightly softened.
Notes: How to Slice the Bacon
- Use a very sharp knife.
- Place the bacon on a cutting board, stacking the strips together. I cut the entire package in half and moved the ends over, and began cutting the ends off.
- I sliced the bacon into small slices, cutting crossways.
Photo Guide: Cooking the Bacon
Notes: How to Cut the Corn
- Use a sharp knife.
- Cut the corn kernels off the cob. There will be individual kernels and large sheets of kernels that come off, depending upon how deep your cut is on the cob.
- Once all of the corn kernels have been cut off, discard the cob.