Minnesota Cooking: Green Tomatoes With a Country-Fried Coating
Green Pan-Fried Tomatoes
Green tomatoes have a strong, acidic smell and taste.
I used four round green tomatoes and sliced them as thick as my finger. I discarded the round end and the stem end. I didn't do anything super fancy to them. Well, other than I broke two eggs into a bowl, put Fry Magic into another bowl, coated the tomato slices with egg, and then coated them on both sides with Fry Magic.
I used a frying pan and some canola oil on medium heat. When my oil was hot, I took the tomato slice and placed them in the pan.
I let them cook, turning them occasionally, until they were a golden brown on both sides.
- 4 green tomato, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, stirred
- 1 1/2 cups Fry Magic, coat liberally
- Cut tomatoes, break eggs into bowl, place Fry Magic in another bowl.
- Dip sliced tomatoes in eggs, place in Fry Magic. Coat both sides.
- Place in hot frying pan on medium, fry until golden brown on both sides.
Coating the Tomatoes
If you prefer, you can coat the wet tomatoes with Fry Magic before the egg wash and after the egg wash.
Sometimes, the egg wash doesn't seem to stick to the tomatoes, so if you like to see proof, coat them before and after.