Mint Lime Summer Salad Recipe With Corn and Avocado
Credit for this particular salad creation goes to my daughter. She loves lime, mint, and avocado, and she asked if I could make a salad that incorporates these ingredients. Since then I've made this salad countless times, and it's one that I often bring to other people's homes for dinner. It's always a hit, and I've been asked for the recipe more than once.
For the salad:
- 1 cup cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 ears corn, kernels scraped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 6 ounces mixed greens, washed and dried
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon sugar (adjust to taste)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the corn into the boiling water: leave heat on high and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Remove the cooked corn from the pot and it set aside to cool. Use a knife to scrape the kernels off the cobs.
- While the corn is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad. Slice the cucumbers, halve the cherry tomatoes, cube the avocado, and tear the mint leaves.
- Place the mixed greens into a large salad bowl. (I like to use a blend of arugula and mixed greens, but any greens will work here.)
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, mint leaves, and corn kernels to the mixed greens.
- For the dressing, mix lime juice, olive oil, crushed garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Use a whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well, and enjoy!
Cooking the Corn
Scraping the Corn Kernels
Slicing the Vegetables
Squeezing the Limes
Crushing the Garlic
Mixing the Dressing
Variations and Additions
This salad is endlessly versatile, and I love adding new ingredients, depending on what looks good at the market. Here are some other ingredients you can try. These can either replace or simply be added to the ingredients listed above, as you wish.
- bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange)
- fresh peas
- feta cheese
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- black beans
- grilled chicken
- tortilla strips
© 2016 Devra Nelson