Moringa Vegetable Lentil Soup
I've been experimenting with moringa a lot recently. Although I use it daily, in smoothies, egg dishes, stews, and in tea form, I wanted to try it in other forms as well. Since I had planned to make lentil soup that day, I decided to try adding moringa leaves and powder to the recipe. The result was absolutely delicious.
This soup is a nutritional powerhouse, offering plenty of essential nutrients that benefit your health.
This moringa vegetable lentil soup:
- is great in the middle of July or during the cold winter months.
- is super healthy because of the use of moringa leaves.
- is very easy to prepare and can be made in under 60 minutes.
- 2 Tbsp. grape seed oil (or olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp. basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp. rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed hot pepper (less or more to taste) or a dash of cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt, Add more or less to your liking.
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Cauliflower florets
- 5 Asparagus beans, cut into inch size pieces
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- 1 cup packed Moringa leaves
- 1 tsp. Moringa, powder
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Freshly grated ginger, or 1 tsp. powder ginger
- 1 Smoked turkey leg or your choice of smoked meat, optional
- Parmesan cheese, For serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions and saute 2 minutes, then add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer.
- Add the water or vegetable broth. If you're making a vegetarian dish, then add vegetable broth or water. If you are going to add smoked meats like turkey or pork, this would be the time to add them to the pot.
- Add 1 can diced tomatoes. I love to use the diced tomatoes that have the Italian seasonings already in it, although I add those as well.
- Add in lentils, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, chili powder, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Taste and add more seasonings to taste.
- After simmering for 35 minutes, add the moringa leaves and powder.
- Add the asparagus beans or your choice of green beans.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower florets and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- If the liquid becomes too low, add about a half cup more water or broth if you have it. Stir in the lemon juice. After the 40 minutes, it should have the consistency of a thick stew. As the soup rests the lentils soak up more of the broth.
Heat Your Choice of Oil.
Sautee Carrots, Garlic and Onions.
Add Water or Broth.
If you are going to add smoked meats like turkey or pork, this would be the time to add them to the pot.
Add Lentils and Seasonings. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Benefits of Lentils
- an excellent source of folate.
- a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, phosphorus and manganese.
- a good source of iron, protein, vitamin B1, pantothenic acid, zinc, potassium and vitamin B6.
Add Moringa Powder and Leaves.
I've written before on the health benefits of moringa. To use moringa leaves, remove the stems from the leaves. You can cook the leaves as you would any other green leafy vegetable, like spinach. In India, people add the leaves to curries and soups, or even pickle them. That is what I did in this recipe here. I also chose to use some moringa powder.
I add moringa leaves to my recipes for health benefits or eat them on their own like salad greens.
After removing the stems and yellow/brown leaves, simply wash the remaining fresh leaves to remove all dirt or debris that may be on them.
Add the Asparagus Beans or Your Choice of Green Beans.
I happened to have a lot of asparagus beans (also known as Chinese long beans, or yard long beans, or Asian long bean) available, due to the fact that I grew them in my garden this summer.
Neither the foliage nor the seed of this Asian pole bean plant resembles green beans, although its uses are similar to the green bean.Their sweet and mild flavor resembles a mixture of asparagus, mushrooms, and beans, or beans and black-eyed peas. Asparagus bean can grow to nearly a yard long, though it will be tastier at half that length.
- contain large quantities of soluble and insoluble fibers.
- are one of the finest sources of folates.
- contain a good amount of vitamin-C.
- are an excellent source of vitamin-A.
- are low in calories, about 45 calories per cup
- are a good source of potassium.
- provide average amounts of minerals such as iron, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium.
You may use your choice of green bean or other vegetable. Make this dish your own.
Add the Broccoli and Cauliflower Florets and Simmer for 10 More Minutes.
If the liquid becomes too low, add about a half cup more water or broth if you have it. After the 40 minutes, it should have the consistency of a thick stew.
© 2017 Gina Welds Hulse