My Greek Grandma's Recipes: Potatoes in Tomato Sauce
Potatoes in Tomato Sauce
You may have heard about the benefits of the Mediterranean diet; how it contributes to a long healthy life and prevents heart disease. So, if you are a vegetarian, or simply tired of eating meat every day, why don't you try some traditional Spanish, Greek or Southern Italian recipes?
Greek Cuisine offers a wide variety of simple, healthy and cheap vegetarian dishes. My Greek Grandmother taught me how to cook these potatoes in tomato sauce, a dish that gives a whole new meaning to the term comfort food. It is perfect for a week day, easy to cook, and most importantly, completely healthy. I usually set it up as soon as I come home from work (it shouldn't take longer that 15 minutes) and them let it cook slowly for another 30', while I take a quick shower and lay the table for dinner. Potatoes are tasty, have great nutritional value. This is a great way to enjoy them without frying them or adding any condiments! I'm sure you'll just love them!
Potatoes in Tomato Sauce
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped (or minced)
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 500 gr tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt, pepper, oregano, to taste
- 4 tbs olive oil
- feta cheese, (to serve)
Have your ingredients ready before you start!
#1 Adding the ingredients gradually!
- Pour 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot and heat it over medium- high heat. When it's ready add the garlic.
- Add the onions immediately and cook them until they turn soft and lightly colored.
- As soon as the onions are ready, add the peppers. Stir well to prevent onions from getting burned. The peppers will bring out their fluids in 1-2 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add the potatoes in the pot. If your pot is not big enough, you should add them in batches. Keep stirring them and make sure each batch is sauted for about 30 seconds. Be careful, not to end up frying them!
5. Pour the tomato sauce over the potatoes and stir well.
#2 Letting it boil!
6. Top up with enough water to cover the potatoes completely.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste! Don't forget to also add a dash of oregano, it goes great with almost every Greek food!
8. Cover the pot and cook in low heat for about 30 minutes. Check on it occasionally and stir! Don't add more water, this amount is more than enough for the potatoes to boil and some delicious tomato sauce to be left!
9. Uncover and stir (if necessary), until the mixture is quite thick.
10. Let is "rest" for 10' before serving!
Serve with feta cheese!
When your food is ready, serve the potatoes in big plates. Make sure you add a good deal of tomato sauce to each plate! If you are not a vegan, top up with plenty of feta cheese!
1. It's a mystery, but this food gets better if you leave it in the fridge overnight! So, don't hesitate to cook it the day before!
2. It goes great with cumin seeds and chili powder! Throw in some cumin seeds with the garlic, before you add the onions. As for the chili powder, just add it along with the salt and pepper, before you let the potaoes boil.
3. Do not hover over your pot, uncovering it and checking at the food all the time! If you cook it in low heat, you'll only have to check on it twice. Otherwise, you'll just get tomato stains everywhere and get your clothes and hair all smelly!
4. Add a dash of sugar to your sauce, to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. Apparently everyone is doing it nowadays!
5. If you usually make your own tomato sauce, by all means, go for it! Just make sure it's not too watery. Your food will become even better!