I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
Peppery and Crunchy Appetizer or Side Dish
Making an appetizer or side dish can often be time-consuming. Okra and potato hash is a wonderful option in situations when you don't have a lot of time. Not only is it quick and easy to make, it's also healthy—not to mention mouthwateringly good! The dry spices, ginger, and garlic impart a unique flavor, and the sesame seeds provide a wonderful crunch.
Let me show you the detailed recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 3 people
- 18 okra, cut in 1/4 cm slices
- 2 teaspoons chopped onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 potato, peeled, diced, washed in water and strained
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or any other salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic into a blender. Pulse a few times to get a paste. Set aside.
- Take pepper, cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a blender and crush them. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan or a non-stick pan. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add ginger-garlic-onion paste. Saute the mixture for 2 minutes or until you experience a nice aroma from the roasted paste.
- Stir in potatoes. Add some salt. Reduce the heat to a minimum. Cover the pan and let the potatoes cook for 5 minutes while stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Uncover, stir in okra and the dry spice mixture. Add some salt and turmeric powder. Stir the mixture occasionally to ensure the contents not burning the bottom. Add a few drops of oil if needed.
- This step takes about 8-10 minutes. By this time, the veggies will be cooked and a bit roasted.
- Check for the taste. If needed, add some salt. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds at the time of serving.
- Enjoy it as an appetizer or side dish!