I love to cook, try new recipes, and share them! When healthy ingredients meet complementary spices, magic happens in the kitchen.
Delicious and Easy Tofu Recipe
Our family loves tofu and this recipe is a great beginner one if you're new to cooking with this fabulous protein source. The tofu is pan-fried until it's crispy, and the flavorful orange sauce on top makes the perfect accompaniment. You can adjust this recipe to your dietary needs. If I have the time, I like to roast the green beans instead of steaming them. You can also add more sriracha if you like the heat.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 14 ounces firm tofu, patted dry and cubed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 orange, half juiced, half cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 12 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- Cook the jasmine rice according to the package directions. If you are using a rice cooker, add 2 1/4 cups of water to the pot along with the rice. Cook for 20 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. If using a pot on the stove, add water and rice to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the grains are tender and water is absorbed. Stir frequently to ensure rice doesn't stick or burn to the bottom of the pot.
- Steam the green beans in a steamer basket. Alternatively, you can add them to a hot sauté pan and gradually add 1/4 cup of water at a time until the beans are fork-tender. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- To make the orange sauce, combine the minced garlic, juice from half the orange, sugar, sriracha, and tamari/soy sauce. Whisk to combine. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Reserve the other half of the orange for slices to garnish your finished plate.
- Take cubes of tofu and combine them in a bowl with corn starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion salt. Stir to combine until all tofu pieces are coated in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the sesame oil into a warmed sauté pan. Add the tofu and cook undisturbed for a few minutes per side until all sides are browned and crispy.
- Once the tofu is cooked to your liking, add chopped green onion to the pan and toss until they begin to wilt and soften. (Reserve a small amount of green onion for garnish.)
- Turn the heat to low and sprinkle tofu with sesame seeds and orange sauce. Stir to coat and until sauce begins to thicken, 1-2 minutes. (Reserve a small amount of sesame seeds for garnish.)
- Divide the rice between 4 plates. Top with green beans and orange sesame tofu. Sprinkle with any remaining sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
© 2022 Lisa Bean