I love cooking and having a backyard garden—so when I can put those two things together, it makes for a great day!
Versatile and Simple Grain Salad
This summer salad is the perfect meal or side dish for a hot summer day. It comes together quickly, doesn't heat up the house (no oven required), and is cool and refreshing to eat. The salad combines fresh vegetables, herbs, and orzo with a light dressing that gets more flavorful as it marinates.
This salad is a summer go-to for our family. You can customize the vegetables and herbs you include and it can easily be made dairy-free without including the feta cheese. You can also substitute other types of cheese, and you can include meat or beans to add more protein to this dish.
Meal Prep Time
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 8 ounces orzo, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grey poupon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup cucumber, sliced
- basil, chiffonade
- kalamata olives
- Cook the orzo according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the vegetables, basil, and olives. Set aside in a bowl. Cut the corn off the cob and add it to the bowl of vegetables.
- Mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper until combined.
- When the orzo has cooled, combine with vegetables and dressing.
- Top with feta cheese and refrigerate until serving.
What do you think?
© 2022 Lisa Bean