Pesarattu Masala Dosa Recipe
Crispy and Delicious
Making pesarattu is quick and very easy. They are delicious too. But if you fill these crepes with a spicy filling, they become mouthwatering. You can fill them with an onion-potato filling or a raw onion-ginger filling. They make a nutritious and hearty breakfast.
Serve hot pesarattu masala dosa with a coconut chutney. Enjoy the taste.
Now, I share a detailed recipe for making this tasty dish.
- 1/2 cup green gram(mung beans)
- 1/2 cup moong dal(dehusked split green gram)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/3 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 cloves
- 2 green chilies
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp oil or a mixture of oil and ghee, for making each pesarattu masala dosa
- 1/2 tsp salt, or salt to taste
- 1 bowl stuffing, potato-onion stuffing or raw onion-ginger stuffing
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Pesarattu Masala Dosa
- Wash mung beans, moong dal, and rice together. Soak them in fresh water for 4-5 hours. Strain them.
- Put them to a grinder or mixer. Add chopped ginger, green chilies, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, cloves, and salt.
- Grind, to get a bit coarse or near-smooth batter. Keep it neither thick nor thin. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Rest the batter for 2-3 hours. This will ensure naturally soft dosa. Fermenting the batter is not needed.
- Make a stuffing. You can make either a potato-onion stuffing or raw onion-ginger stuffing.
- Next, heat a dosa pan. Grease it lightly with ghee or oil. Wipe it with a tissue paper. Pour about 1 1/2 ladle full of the batter in the center.
- Quickly spread the batter by running the ladle bottom on the batter in circular motion. Add a few drops of oil or ghee on the top. Keep the heat medium high.
- Place two teaspoons of the stuffing on the center of the dosa. Roll the dosa once it turns crispy and golden brown.
- See below for a quick recipe to make the stuffing.
- Place pesarattu masala dosa on a serving plate. Eat hot with coconut chutney. Enjoy the taste.
How to Make Potato Onion Stuffing
- Boil 3 potatoes until they are soft. Peel, and mash them.
- Heat two teaspoons oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions, chopped green chilies, and curry leaves. Saute until onions are transparent.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt, turmeric powder, chopped coriander leaves(optional), some sugar, and a teaspoon lemon juice. Saute together until they blend nicely.
- Turn off the heat. Potato-onion stuffing is ready!
Making Raw Onion-Ginger Stuffing
- You can use this stuffing for pesarattu masala dosa only.
- Make a mixture of finely chopped onions, ginger, green chilies, and coriander leaves.
- Spread this inside the pesarattu dosa. Roll it along with the stuffing.
Nutritional Information of Pesarattu Masala Dosa
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 38 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|