Recipe for Potato and Broccoli Latkes
Rate this Recipe!
What are Potato Latkes?
Potato latkes are also known as potato cakes or potato pancakes. They can be made using shredded or mashed potatoes and a variety of other ingredients and spices. Potato latkes are a very traditional dish for my husband and I as we come from Polish and Jewish backgrounds (respectively).
I love to prepare all kinds of potato side dishes and latkes hold a special place at the top of that list. I first prepared this version of latkes when I had leftover broccoli. I've usually got broccoli on hand to make these tasty little pancakes and this recipe has become a lifesaver when we have broccoli that needs to be used. If you're trying to find a recipe for latkes that's easy and yummy, this is a fantastic one. Even if you make and eat latkes regularly, this is a version you should treat yourself (and your tastebuds) to.
My Homemade Latkes with Sour Cream
I have...See results without voting
Ingredients for Latkes
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
How Do You Make Latkes
- Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths. Place in large pot of cold water and bring to boil. Boil 15-20 minutes, adding broccoli to pot for remaining five minutes of boiling time. Potatoes should be fork tender. Drain vegetables.
- In mixing bowl: mash potatoes, broccoli and butter together. Add remaining ingredients. Mix with electric mixer until creamy.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat. Shape mixture into patties and fry. Flip latkes when sides are golden. Each side takes approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Remove latkes with spatula and rest on paper towel-lined baking sheet. Transfer to baking rack.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Tips for Making Latkes
- This recipe is so easy when you're working with leftover broccoli and mashed potatoes. It can really reduce your prep time.
- I like to buy frozen broccoli in a 10 ounce bag for this recipe, but if I'm working with leftovers, I'll simply use what I've got. Sometimes this can be more or less.
- Coat your hands with a little oil prior to shaping patties. This will make life easier.
- If you prefer to not use your hands-- drop spoonfuls of batter into your frying pan. Dip a fork in a little oil and use the bottom to gently press and shape your dollop into a patty. Recoat fork as necessary.
- The paper towels are great at sucking up excess oil. Don't let them rest on the oily paper towels for too long or it defeats the purpose. I like to transfer them to a baking rack and pop them in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- These potato and broccoli latkes taste great just the way they are but are super yummy whith melted cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top before popping in a warm oven. They also taste great with sour cream or ranch dressing.
Potato Latkes from Scratch
Latkes are so special that my holidays wouldn't be complete without them. If you're looking for new Thanksgiving potato recipes, these latkes will be a hit. I love to make and eat them for all the holidays but also all year round as a dinner side dish. They're too yummy to get tired of. If you're looking for any recipe for potato cakes or one of the best potato pancakes recipe, this version is so satisfying. I like to eat mine any time and with a yummy dollop of sour cream.
© 2013 Heather Rode
More by this Author
Step by step instructions for preparing potato pancakes using a store bought mix. This is great for first-timers or cooks looking for helpful tips and fresh ideas. Goes with any meal all year long.
Hasselback potatoes boast crispy outsides and tender centers. These fancy potatoes are easy to prep and come out lovely every time. They're prettier and yummier than just another baked potato.
Italian cooking doesn't have to be complicated or take all day. Made from basic ingredients and basic spices, this easy meatball recipe is full of flavor and compliments pasta dishes. Yummy!