How to Make a Quick and Easy Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Easy Butternut Squash Soup - slightly sweet, eat it hot or cold
Not long ago, my brother gave me a butternut squash. I wasn't sure what to do with it, and left it lying around for a couple of weeks, intending to look up a recipe. I was lucky really that it didn't start to rot before I had the chance to use it. But I learned from this that Squash seems to be a long-lasting vegetable.
Butternut Squash is Also Known as Butternut Pumpkin in Australia and New Zealand
It has a hard outer skin which nevertheless peels easily. The pith inside is pale orange, turning to darker orange as it ripens. There is a hollow part inside which contains the pips, and these need to be removed before cooking.
Butternut Squash in its Natural Form
Butternut Squash is nutritious because it contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, fibre, manganese, potassium, and magnesium.
My sister actually brought round a whole pot of the soup for me recently when I wasn't well; I was quite touched.
Cook Time for Butternut Squash Soup
Assemble the Equipment and Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup Before you Start
- Medium-sized Saucepan
- Potato Peeler
- Kitchen Knife
- Chopping Board
- Tablespoon/Wooden Spoon
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 tabkespoonful Olive Oil or Butter, Olive oil is healthier but butter tast
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice, Fresh or from a packet. 1/2 cup = 150 ml. or 1/4 pint
- 1 small pinch Sweet Chilli Flakes, optional
- 1/4 teaspoonful Grated Nutmeg or Nutmeg Powder
- 1 Clove
- 1/2 teaspoonful Turmeric, Optional
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 teaspoonful Crushed ginger, fresh, bottled or frozen (or 1/3 teaspoon of powdered ginger)
Onions, Butternut Squash and Ginger Cooking
Instructions for Making Quick Butternut Squash Soup
- Peel and chop the onion and fry it gently in the olive oil or butter in the saucepan. Don't let it go brown and crispy - the idea is just to soften it (called "sweating")
- Whilst the onion is cooking, peel the butternut squash with a potato peeler and cut it into chunks. Add it to the saucepan together with the spices. Cook and stir for 2 - 3 minutes, then add 2 cups of water, bring to the boil and simmer until the butternut squash is soft (10 - 15 minutes). Add the chicken stock cube and the orange juice. Then blend the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the saucepan.
- Add a little more water to make up the required quantity of soup. Butternut Squash Soup can be served hot for a deliciously comforting slightly sweet soup or served lukewarm or cold as a refreshing summer soup. For an optional garnish, you could add a swirl of cream, creme fraishe or plain thick yogurt after you have served your butternut squash soup into bowls, or sprinkle a small amount of aromatic fresh green herbs on the top.
Enjoy Your Soup!
I'm sure you will agree this is the best butternut squash soup recipe you could find: it must be because my family are all gourmets, and my sister wouldn't have passed it on if it wasn't fantastically delicious!