Sienna is a certified holistic wellness and nutrition coach specializing in autoimmune health.
Quinoa Kale Salad
Does anyone else hate that dreaded Sunday-evening sense of dismay when you suddenly realize you need to mentally prepare yourself for the work week ahead? For me, preparing for the week also means prepping my lunches so I have something delicious to look forward to while I'm at work. This quinoa kale salad is one of my favorite recipes to meal prep.
The first time I made this salad, I intended it to be for a week's worth of lunches—but it was so dang delicious I ate the entire bowl the same night I made it. (I can't believe I am admitting to that!) Once you make it for yourself, though, you will understand. This recipe is so amazingly tasty, and the best part is that it comes together in only 20 minutes.
Read More From Delishably
One of the most important steps to is massage the kale with lemon juice. Make sure you wash the kale thoroughly beforehand and remove the stems! The easiest way to remove the stems is to hold the stem with one hand and use the other hand to run up the stem and strip off the leaves. Massaging the kale for a few minutes helps break down the fibers and makes it softer and easier to eat (and digest).
By the way, you don't need to be vegan or vegetarian to enjoy this salad. It makes for a great side dish or a protein-rich main dish that everyone can enjoy.
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed, boiled, and cooled
- 4-5 handfuls raw kale, chopped and washed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1/3 lemon
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp pesto
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- sprinkle of chia seeds
- Wash the kale and remove the stems. Squeeze the lemon on top of the leaves, drizzle a bit of olive oil, and massage the leaves for a few minutes. (This makes the kale softer and easier to digest.)
- Toss in all of the remaining ingredients, drizzle a tiny bit more olive oil, and top with salt, pepper, and chia seeds. Gently mix with some salad tongs and enjoy!
- Best if eaten within three days. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
© 2022 Sienna