4 Recipes for Potatoes, Taters, Spuds, or Whatever Y'all Call Them!
Cajun Shrimp Boil With Sweet Corn, Sausage, and New Potatoes Recipe
This is a Cajun shrimp boil but you can also use craw fish. This a great casual meal or can make it a little fancier with dishes. Most folks here in the Texas Hill Country just lay down a thick layer of newspaper, drain the boil, then throw it out on newspaper for serving. How fun does that sound! Serve it with melted butter and lemon wedges and Old Bay seasoning. Now dig in and enjoy
Ingredients for Making a Shrimp Boil
- 4 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3-ounces package shrimp and crab boil mixture
- 4 medium ears sweet corn, cut in half
- 1 pound small red potato
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 pound uncooked peeled deveined medium shrimp, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Fresh ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Cocktail sauce
Instructions for Making Boil
- In a 8-quart Dutch oven, mix the water, salt, and crab boil mixture. Cover and bring to boiling. Add potatoes; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add corn and sausage; simmer 8 minutes. Bring to boiling; reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook 15 minutes or just until the potatoes and the corn are tender.
- 1. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Add the shrimp; let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm
- 2. Drain the potatoes, corn, sausage, and shrimp; discard the crab boil bag. Place on a serving dish the potatoes, sausage, and corn, drizzle with melted butter.
- On another serving dish arrange the shrimp and squeeze with lemon juice. If you desire sprinkle with pepper; serve with the cocktail sauce
Tip From Margie Lynn
- Instead of placing in serving dishes just throw some newspaper down on the table and dump out after draining and dig in! Serve with melted butter, lemon wedges, and Old Bay seasoning.
This is the easy way to serve a Shrimp Boil! Put newspaper on a table and dump out!
Have you done a shrimp boil?
Video Recipe Making Tornado Potato
Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
I love my GoWISE air-fryer, I just wish it was a little bigger. Mine is round and they have a 6-quart Power Air-Fryer Elite that is square that I have my eyes set upon! It has the size and all the bells and whistles! I love kitchen gadgets! Get one, you will love it!
Instructions for Air-Frying French Fried Potatoes
- I use fresh Irish potatoes for my air-fryer, they turn out perfect, just like they are deep fried without all the oil!
- I do about three or four medium potatoes at a time. If you need more, make two batches. Do not crowd with too many!
- Place the sliced fries in a bowl and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil, you may need to use the spray olive oil a couple of times after tossing them while cooking.
- I cook mine at 400 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes or until they reach the degree of browning I like. Toss about three or four times during the cooking time.
- Dip these delicious fries in catchup, I like the Whataburger Spicy Catchup, ranch dip, or sprinkle with cheese! Enjoy, happy cooking!
Baked Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
When I am searching for a carb to go with my meal, I usually pull out this scalloped potato recipe. It goes well with almost every meat and great to serve when we have guests! Our family like onions, but if you do not like them, leave them out! If you so desire, you may sprinkle a little cheese on top the last few minutes of baking time!
Ingredients for Scalloped Potatoes
- 6 medium sliced raw potatoes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot milk
Instructions for Making Scalloped Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a buttered casserole dish place layers of the potatoes then some onions, alternating layers ending with the potatoes, sprinkle a little of the flour over each layer.
- Add the salt to milk and pour over the potatoes and onions.
- Dot with butter over the top of potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and bake until brown on top and the potatoes are tender.
Layering Sliced Potatoes in the Baking Dish
Sour Cream Dilled Potato Salad Recipe
This is a little different take on potato salad, but very delicious! I love dill, my husband does not, so this is usually made for a potluck dish. It uses sour cream and mayonnaise make a yummy potato salad!
Ingredients for Potato Salad
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions with tops, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled as garnish, if desired
Instructions for Making Potato Salad
- Cook the potatoes with skins on, cool and cube.
- While potatoes are cooking, mix all of the ingredients, except bacon.
- Stir into cooled potatoes.
- Taste for seasonings, add more if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, garnish with bacon.
- Makes 6-8 servings. Recipe can be doubled.
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen