Caitlin Goodwin is a registered nurse who is passionate about whole foods and creating health from the inside out.
Perfect Side Dish for any Season
Red cabbage apple slaw is a crisp side dish that works well in any season. I stumbled upon it while trying to use up the red cabbage from my fall farmer's market. This recipe is perfect if you're craving the taste of apples but looking for a savory side with a crunch.
With these fresh ingredients, a light vinaigrette is preferable to a creamy sauce. The crispy slaw is perfectly tart. If you prefer sweeter, add a sweetener of your choice. Our family prefers honey, but you can use maple syrup, sugar, Stevia, or Splenda—the options are endless!
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 hours 20 min
- 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped into slivers
- 1/2 head red cabbage, sliced and shredded
- 2 small carrots, sliced and shredded
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1/2 cup nuts or seeds of your choice, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon honey or your choice of sweetener
- Combine the slivers of Granny Smith apples, shredded red cabbage, and sliced carrots in a giant bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and honey to create a tangy dressing.
- Pour dressing over the fruit and veggies in the large bowl. Toss all ingredients so everything is well combined.
- Refrigerate the slaw for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Garnish with nuts or seeds of your choice. Pistachios or pumpkin seeds make an excellent fall treat.
Nourishing your body with wholesome food has countless health benefits. Whole food living can be challenging in a world with processed foods, and this article gives you details on the Paleo diet, with tips and tricks to help you to do it.
© 2017 Caitlin Goodwin