I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Restaurant-Style Hash Browns Made at Home
A Mouth-Watering Appetizer to Relish
In my opinion, hash browns are guilt-free snacks. I make this statement because I made it at home yesterday. These potato snacks absorbed very little oil, and they were very crispy outside and soft inside.
The potato is good for health. It is a very popular vegetable throughout the world, mainly due to its awesome taste and health benefits. It has low calories, and no fat, sodium, or cholesterol. It is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B 6, fiber, and antioxidants.
Hash browns are comfort food, especially for young adults and kids. It doesn't need any serious accompaniment to pair with. Tomato ketchup on the side makes a good combo.
Making hash browns was thrilling as there were only a few simple steps involved in the preparation. It took me about 30–40 minutes to serve hash browns for three people.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves three people
- 2 medium size potatoes, peeled, grated
- a large bowl ice cold water
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour, or wheat flour. I used wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika, I didn't have. Hence, not used
- 1/2 tsp pasta spice mix, you can use any spice mix of your choice
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, you can use any spice mix of your choice
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Hash Browns
- Wash potatoes. Peel them. Grate them. Put them in ice-cold water. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can immerse them in regular water and add ice cubes to make it chill.
- Squeeze shredded potatoes by holding tight inside the palms. This is the best way to remove the excess starch from potatoes. Now, you should make the potato julienne dry.
- Place them on an absorbent paper towel. Cover it with another towel. Press tightly and pat to remove the entire water from the potato.
- In the next step, saute them for 5 minutes adding a few drops of oil. This is to further make them dry and par-cook them. I didn't follow this step. Straight away made the dough.
- For making the dough, put pat dried potato in a large bowl. Add corn flour, rice flour, and all-purpose flour or wheat flour.
- Add spices as per your choice. I added pasta spice mix, dried oregano, and black chili powder. Adding some paprika will also be good. Add salt.
- Gently knead to get a smooth dough. Place it between two plastic sheets. Gently press it. Roll with a rolling pin to make it thin and flat.
- Remove the topside sheet. Cut it in squares. Refer to the pic.
- Fry 5–6 of such squares in a batch in medium hot oil. Fry them till they get golden brown. Place them on an absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat the same for frying all the squares. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite hash browns are inviting! Serve these super crunchy and delicious snacks with tomato ketchup. Enjoy this yummy dish as a tea-time snack/evening snack!
© 2018 ShailaSheshadri