Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
A Simple, Healthy, and Unique Side Dish!
Ridge gourd is a vegetable that has a mildly sweet taste. It releases its own water when heated and cooks fast. Old people like to eat ridge gourd dishes as they are light on the stomach and digest well. This vegetable is great for weight-loss diets. Its main health benefits include low cholesterol and no saturated fats. It is high in vitamin C, fiber, and minerals.
Meanwhile, fenugreek leaves are known for their cholesterol-reducing properties. They add a nice flavor to the curry.
This side dish does not include any strong spice powder or red chili powder. It is spiced up with coriander powder and fresh green chilies.
Now, let me show you how to make this ridge gourd and fenugreek leaf curry.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves two people
- 1 heaping bowl fenugreek leaves, washed, patted dry, and chopped
- 1 heaping bowl ridge gourd, peeled, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- 3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon or less turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white lentils
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan or wok. Throw in the mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add cumin seeds, white lentils, and curry leaves. Saute for a minute on low fire.
- Throw in the chopped onions, slit green chilies, and some salt. Increase the heat. Saute till the onions become translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a while or till you get a nice aroma of roasted garlic.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes. Saute for two minutes. Add turmeric powder.
- Add the ridge gourd cubes. Stir-cook for two minutes. Throw in the chopped fenugreek leaves. Continue stir-cooking for a further two minutes.
- Now, cover the pan and reduce the heat. Let the ridge gourd and fenugreek cook inside, releasing their own water. There's no need to add water.
- Open the lid after 4 to 5 minutes. By this time, the veggies should be cooked properly.
- Add the coriander powder. Mix well. Throw in the chopped coriander leaves. Just stir the mix for 30 seconds. Turn off the stove. Adjust the salt.
- Your favorite ridge gourd and fenugreek leaf side dish are ready to serve. Transfer it to a serving bowl. Eat roti, flatbread, rice, or chapati with this awesome, flavorful curry. Enjoy the taste!