Ridge Gourd (Turai) and Fenugreek Leaf (Methi) Curry
Ridge Gourd (Turai) and Fenugreek leaf ( Methi) Curry
A Simple, Healthy, and Unique Side Dish!
Ridge gourd is a vegetable that has a mild sweet taste. It releases its own water when heated and cooks fast. Old people like to eat ridge gourd dishes, as they are light on the stomach and digest well.
This vegetable is great for weight-loss diets. Its main health benefits include low cholesterol and no saturated fats. It is high in vitamin C, fiber, and minerals.
Fenugreek leaves are known for their cholesterol-reducing properties. It adds nice flavor to the curry.
This side dish does not include any strong spice powder or red chili powder in it. It is spiced up with coriander powder and fresh green chilies.
Now, let me show you how to make this ridge gourd and fenugreek leaf curry.
- 1 heaped bowl fenugreek leaves, washed, pat dried, chopped
- 1 heaped bowl ridge gourd, peeled, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp or less turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 spring curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp white lentils
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Ridge Gourd and Fenugreek Leaf Curry
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan or wok. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add cumin seeds, white lentils, and curry leaves. Saute for a minute on low fire.
- Throw in chopped onions, slit green chilies, and some salt. Increase the heat. Saute, till onions become translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a while, or till you get a nice aroma of roasted garlic.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes. Saute for two minutes. Add turmeric powder.
- Add ridge gourd cubes. Stir-cook for two minutes. Throw in chopped fenugreek leaves. Continue stir-cooking for further two minutes.
- Now, cover the pan, reduce the heat. Let ridge gourd and fenugreek cook inside, releasing their own water. No need to add water.
- Open the lid after 4-5 minutes. By this time, the veggies would have cooked right.
- Add coriander powder. Mix well. Throw in chopped coriander leaves. Just stir the mix for 30 seconds. Turn off the stove. Adjust the salt.
- Your favorite ridge gourd and fenugreek leaf side dish is ready to serve.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl. Eat roti, flatbread, rice, or chapati with this awesome, flavorful curry. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Ridge Gourd and Fenugreek Leaf Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|