Robyn is a new mom devoted who's devoted to cooking nutritious, delicious, and clean treats for her family.
Sweet, Sweet Beets
Stop. Forget everything you know about red beets.
Think instead about a rich, buttery, sweet, yellow-fleshed beet. Consider the sweet and delicious golden beet: one with bright-orange skin and deep-yellow flesh, one that won’t stain your fingers or your work surface, one that’s easy to work with whether raw or cooked.
That hard and rough-looking beet root will turn into something soft, rich, and even buttery once cooked. The golden beet can be peeled and sliced raw, which makes it excellent and easy for roasting. It takes about 45 minutes for the sliced beets to soften, which is why they’re the perfect accompaniment to roasted potatoes. The golden beet is super sweet, rich, and buttery. They’re high in sugar content, so kids love them!
I generally cook these with Yukon Gold or red potatoes. The Yukon Gold is my favorite. They, too, are buttery and sweet—the perfect accompaniment!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 3 to 4 as a side dish
Read More From Delishably
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small or 2 large golden beets, peeled and quartered
- 4 potatoes, quartered, red or Yukon Gold
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sprig fresh or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour the olive oil in the bottom of a sheet pan or cookie sheet and spread evenly.
- Wash and quarter the potatoes. If you are using red or Yukon Gold potatoes leave the skin on. Peel and quarter the golden beets, depending on size. Try to keep the beet and potato slices as similar in size as possible to ensure even cooking.
- Toss the beets and potatoes around in your pan with the salt and pepper. Make sure they get coated with the olive oil. Place the potatoes skin-side down.
- Sprinkle dried or fresh rosemary over the top. Flip over all the potatoes so the skin side is up.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes at 400°F. Remove from oven and flip. Bake another 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and flip. Depending on the size of your vegetables, you may need to bake for another 10 minutes. Beets and potatoes should be fork-soft with a crunchy, golden skin.
- Serve as is or with lamb gravy. Enjoy!
Rate This Recipe Here
Beets Are Healthy and Nutritious
There are many health benefits to both raw and cooked beets. They contain compounds that help protect against heart disease, birth defects, and certain cancers. Beets provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support.
Although they seem hardy, beets are surprisingly delicate. Keep beet roasting times to under an hour for maximum nutrition. Add beets to your diet twice a week for maximum health benefits.
Where Can I Find Golden Beets?
I live in a very rural part of northern California. Even my local grocery store has both red and golden beets all year long. Farmer’s markets generally carry beets as well. The beet season usually runs from June through October.
Beets keep for long periods of time in dark storage or root cellars. Put them in a tightly sealed plastic bag inside a paper bag in your fridge, and they’ll keep for up to three weeks.