Roasted Split White Lentil (Urad Dal) Coconut Chutney Recipe
Split White Lentil (Urad Dal) Coconut Chutney
An Awesome Side Dish in Ten Minutes!
Yes, you heard it right! You can make this roasted white lentil (urad dal) coconut chutney in very short time. This is an easy and simple recipe.
White lentils are loaded with protein and fiber. They are a good source of copper, zinc, vitamin B, magnesium, manganese, folate, potassium, etc. Roasted lentils are very delicious too. They also have a very attractive aroma.
To make this chutney, you have to roast the lentils until golden brown. Once they cool down, put them in a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, dry red chilies, tamarind, hing, and salt. Grind while adding water to get a thick paste. This is the chutney.
Serve this chutney with cooked rice, dosa, idly, or curd rice. This can be a good side dish with any meal.
Let's learn now in detail how to make this white lentil coconut chutney.
- 1 1/2 tbsp split white lentil (urad dal)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 5 dry red chilies, broken
- gooseberry-size tamarind, roasted or soaked in water
- 2 pinches hing/asafoetida, solid or powder
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Roasted Split White Lentil Coconut Chutney
- Take white lentil (urad dal) in a deep bottomed pan. Add a few drops of oil. I used coconut oil as I like its' flavor.
- Roast it on medium-low heat while turning continuously. Roast them uniformly all around.
- Turn off the heat once the lentil becomes golden brown and you get a nice aroma from it.
- Add broken dry red chilies and solid hing to the pan. This is just to make them crispy. Add tamarind piece, if you are not soaking it in water.
- Keep aside the pan to cool down. Next, transfer the contents to a mixer or grinder. Add grated coconut and salt.
- Grind, adding water to get a near-smooth paste. This chutney has awesome aroma and taste.
- Serve it with cooked rice, dosa, idly or with any other main course meal. Enjoy the taste!