Savory Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Red Onion
Prepare Your Tastebuds for the Time of Their Lives
Turn This Veggie From "Yuck" to "Yum"
For years, I thought I hated Brussels sprouts. It wasn't until just a few years ago, while preparing for a tv show, that I decided I'd do a recipe I had found. My plan wasn't to actually eat them myself but to fake it for the show.
At the end of the presentation, the host of the show handed me one on a fork, live on television, and I was stuck. I had to try them. I was flabbergasted—they were incredible!
What happened? Well, I had roasted them, and that made all the difference. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the sprouts, and when done fast and hot, they don't develop the bitter compounds that had make me think Brussels sprouts were so unpleasant in the past. (Don't tell my mother or grandmother I said that.)
These aren't your mother's Brussels sprouts. These are sweet and deeply savory, a snap to make, and utterly delicious. Try roasting Brussels sprouts, and you'll probably convert even the sprout-haters of the world.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. If any are very large, go ahead and cut them into quarters. The goal is to have them all roughly the same size so they cook evenly.
- Place the sprouts on the baking sheet and sprinkle the red onion slices over the top. Pull the rings of the onions apart as you drop them on.
- Drizzle the Brussels sprouts and onions with the olive oil. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and garlic salt, then toss to combine well.
- Roast in 400F° oven for about 20 minutes, or until sprouts are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve immediately.
One Pound Brussels Sprouts - Trimmed
Thinly Sliced Red Onions
Simple Seasonings are Best
Savory Brussels Sprouts with Red Onion - Ready to Serve
Check out the Quick Tutorial!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Jan Charles