Shaved Asparagus Recipe
I happen to love asparagus. I don't love that the stems are so woody. I was complaining about how the only good part is the top of the spears, and my awesome mom suggested that I try shaving the stems. And an idea was born. It's the only way I'll eat asparagus anymore. It takes a little more time, but it's soooooo worth it since it makes the stems tender and way easier to eat.
If you keep kosher, adding parmesan cheese makes this a dairy dish. Parmesan is a nice touch, but isn't necessary. If you choose not to add it, this dish is vegan. This recipe fits into diets like keto, paleo, low-carb, Weight Watchers, and autoimmune protocol.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Please feel free to leave a comment below!
Rate this recipe!
- 1 bunch asparagus spears
- olive oil
- Himalayan salt (or regular sea salt)
- garlic powder, optional
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cover a baking sheet with some aluminum foil.
- Wash the asparagus spears. Cut off the very ends of the bottom of the spears. Take a flat vegetable peeler (as shown below) and use it to shave off the skin from the bottom half of the spears all the way around. Place the shaved asparagus spears in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Season with a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of Himalayan salt or regular sea salt. If desired, you can add some garlic powder and parmesan cheese.
- Place the asparagus in the oven for 12 minutes. Take it out and enjoy your asparagus!