Simple Spinach Curry (Palak Curry) Recipe
Simple Spinach (Palak) Curry
Spinach (Palak) Is Loaded With Good Nutrients for Your Body
Whenever I see spinach in the market, I get excited. This is mainly because this veggie has plenty of nutrients that are needed for our body to function correctly. Additionally, it is a soft, colorful, and delicious vegetable you can use to make a delightful curry.
Spinach is low in fat and has no cholesterol. It is high in fiber, protein, iron, niacin, zinc, vitamin A, folate, calcium, magnesium, copper, etc. In other words, it has all good things needed for each part of your body.
I have also used tomato, onions, ginger, green chilies, and spice powders along with spinach. Adding some cream or yogurt in the last stage of making this curry gives a nice finish to this awesome side dish.
Serve this curry with roti, pulka, chapati, etc. Enjoy the taste!
Here, I share the detailed recipe for you.
- 2 tomatoes, medium-sized, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, medium-sized, chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 bunches or 2 heaped cups spinach(Palak), washed, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder, available in Indian stores
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cream or yogurt, less sour
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- one pinch sugar, optional, to balance the sourness
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Simple Spinach Curry
- Put chopped tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, and green chilies to a mixer or blender. Grind them to get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in cumin seeds. Make them sizzle.
- Add tomato paste. Saute on a low heat till the water evaporates from it.
- Next, add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Throw in chopped spinach. Stir-cook on a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Next, add a half cup of water. Stir well.
- Cover the pan. Simmer for 5-6 minutes. By this time, spinach would have cooked nicely and blended with the spices.
- Add fresh cream or less sour yogurt. Add a pinch of sugar (optional). Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite spinach curry is ready! Serve it with roti, chapati, rice, puri, etc. Enjoy this delicious combo!
Nutritional Information of Spinach (Palak) Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 68 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|