I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
Spicy Bean and Tomato Soup
A Super Healthy Winter Soup With Beans and Leafy Greens
I often make a soup for breakfast or dinner. It is an aromatic tomato soup garnished with hyacinth beans and leafy greens, a truly unique combination.
Beans are high in antioxidants, vitamins, protein, iron, copper, zinc, magnesium, and potassium. Eating beans regularly helps with weight management. It may also reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and colorectal cancer.
Green leafy vegetables are known to contain iron, calcium, folate, fiber, and vitamin C. I used sauteed fresh fenugreek leaves for garnishing this soup. Instead, you can also use other leafy greens, such as spinach, mint, or dill as well.
Here, the base puree is like a classic tomato soup. Garnishing it with cooked beans and sauteed leafy greens makes it special. This is a filling appetizer. Serve half a bowl of this soup per person.
Now, let's look at the detailed recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 cup beans, I used fresh hyacinth beans. You can use any type of beans.
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped, sauteed. I used fenugreek, as I was not having spinach.
- 1/4 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp pepper corns
- 1/4 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or butter
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Bean and Tomato Soup
- I cooked fresh hyacinth beans, adding very little salt, in a pressure cooker. I also cooked diced carrots with them in a separate container. Keep them aside for cooling.
- If you are using dried beans, soak them in water before cooking.
- Next, heat oil or butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Saute chopped spinach for 2-3 minutes. Collect them in a bowl. This is for garnishing the soup.
- In the same pan, throw in chopped onions, ginger, garlic, pepper corns, cumin seeds, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Saute till onions turn translucent. Collect them in a mixer/blender.
- To the same pan, add chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook on high-heat for 4 minutes. Add cooked carrots. Turn off the heat.
- Add this mix to the same mixer/blender. Grind together, adding water little by little to get a smooth puree.
- Transfer it to the same pan that you have used earlier. Add salt and sugar. Add water to adjust the consistency. This soup should be thick. Let the mix boil for a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the soup equally into four bowls. Add about 1 1/2 table spoons of cooked hyacinth beans to each bowl. Garnish with half a teaspoon of sauteed green leafy vegetables. Your favorite bean tomato soup is ready.
- Enjoy sipping this spicy and flavorful soup!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on December 06, 2017:
Thanks Susan. Use whatever bean you like. More than taste, this soup is very nutritious. Try it once.
Susan Zutautas from Ontario, Canada on December 06, 2017:
Oh wow another one of your soup recipes I must try. Love the garlic!