Healthy Recipes: Spicy Vegetable Balls (Bonda) Recipe
Bonda (vegetable balls) are a delicious fried snack. They are a spicy snack made of mixed vegetables, covered in chickpea flour batter. You can enjoy this snack the best during cold winter evenings!!
This spicy snack is awesome to munch on rainy days and on cold evenings. The size of the ball (bonda) is a little smaller than a tennis ball. If you open the ball, it is full of vegetables mixed with spices. The chickpea flour batter forms the outer covering. The whole combination is very delicious.
- 1 1/2 cup potato, boiled, mashed
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup french beans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp maida, use only if you need it for binding the vegetables
- 1 1 /2 cup chickpea flour, for batter
- 1 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp for vegetable mix, 1/2 tsp for batter
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
Step-by-step Cooking Instructions
- Take chickpea flour in a mixing bowl. Add red chili powder, carom seeds, and salt. Pour a glass of water. Mix well, so that there is no lump in the batter. Let the consistency be thick.
- Put the cooked vegetables and the mashed potatoes in another mixing bowl. Add red chili powder (quantity as per instructions), garam masala powder, and salt. Add less salt because you've already put the salt in the batter. Mix the dry contents. You should be able to make medium-firm balls out of it. In case you want it more dry, add a spoon of plain flour to adjust the consistency. Prepare fist-sized balls out of the dough.
- Dip the balls in the batter. Fry them in medium-hot oil for 4-5 minutes or till they are golden brown in color. Remove on a paper towel.The towel absorbs the excess oil from the bonda/balls. Repeat the procedure for all of the balls. Serve hot vegetable balls with tomato sauce, green coriander chutney, or with a dip. Enjoy the taste!!