Spinach, Spring Onion, and Tomato Curry
Spinach is a good source of nutrients. It is rich in calcium, vitamin A, vitamin K, manganese, copper, iron, dietary fiber, magnesium, folate, vitamin C, etc.
Spring onions are low in sodium and very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and vitamins.
This curry is very healthy due to the many nutrient-rich veggies in it. To make this curry deep green, cook the veggies in a open pan. Covering the pan may make the curry less green.
Serve this simple, yummy curry with flat breads, roti, chapati, or plain rice.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
- 4 bowls spinach, washed, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp split chickpea or gram dal
- 1/2 tsp white lentils
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili, broken
- 1/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spinach, Spring Onions, and Tomato Curry
- Wash spinach. Roughly chop them.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add split chickpea, white lentils, cumin seeds, and broken dry red chilies.
- Saute them on a low heat till the lentils turn golden brown.
- Add spring onions. Stir-cook on a high-heat for 3 minutes. Add some salt. Mix well.
- Add chopped onions. Saute till they become translucent.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook till they become a bit mushy.
- Add chopped spinach. Stir-cook for 5-6 minutes or till they become tender. Don't cover the pan. Cooking spinach in a open pan helps to retain its deep green color.
- Throw in red chili powder and coriander powder. Stir the mix very well.
- Add 2 cups of water. Let the mix come to a boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer it until the mix gets a soft texture. Add remaining salt. Stir well. Turn off the stove.
- Now, your spinach, spring onions, and tomato curry is ready to serve. Dunk flat breads, chapati, or roti in this yummy curry and enjoy eating!