Spinach and Bacon Salad With Honey-Sesame Dressing Recipe
Green salad is something that forms an excellent meal accompaniment, and this one is a very strong salad. This stems from its dressing, which is composed of a mixture of honey, mustard, vinegar, sesame seeds, and a host of other ingredients that results in a sweet yet vinegary dressing with a strong hint of sesame. On its own, it's almost overpowering, but on the salad itself, it is merely very strong. Combined with bacon and oranges, this salad is certainly no weak collection of greens, but a very strong and vibrant salad that should be paired with equally bold foods. If it's paired with mild foods, it risks becoming the meal's centerpiece!
This recipe is adopted from Dungeness Crabs and Blackberry Cobbler by Janie Hibler, a very good recipe book even though I have only been able to make a few recipes from it as of yet.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Djon mustard
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 pound spinach
- 5 green scallions or green onions, trimmed and cut into segments
- 1 large orange cut into small wedges
- 4 crumbled bacon slices
- Combine together the vegetable oil, mustard, roasted sesame seeds, honey, cider vinegar, garlic, salt, and black pepper, and stir. Reserve and let sit for half an hour at least.
- Line salad bowl with spinach, then layer into it oranges, green scallions, and bacon crumble for decorative appearance.
- Toss the salad with the dressing when it is time to serve.
© 2017 Ryan Thomas