I enjoy preparing healthy food and I love sharing how to make these dishes.
This tasty stuffed mushroom recipe is great to make for parties, family dinners, and just when you're up for some munchies.
They may be small, but they can satisfy any hunger!
Be Healthy: Use Fresh Ingredients
Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 10 whole white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, light
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 scallions, (bulbs and all)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, fat free/skim milk variety
- 2-3 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove stems from the mushrooms; dice stems into small pieces and set aside.
- Peel the outer layer of the mushroom heads to get rid of the dirty exterior.
- Chop scallions and spinach until very fine, set aside.
- Crumble a slice of whole wheat bread for bread crumbs, mix a light amount of Parmesan cheese into the crumbs.
- In a small bowl mix diced mushrooms, minced onion and spinach, cream cheese, and milk.
- Add most of the mozzarella cheese into mixture, set aside enough to garnish the top of mushrooms.
- With a tablespoon fill the empty mushroom cavity.
- Sprinkle Parmesan bread crumbs onto the top of the spinach mixture and garnish with leftover mozzarella cheese.
- Place mushrooms cavity side up onto greased baking sheet.
- Cook mushrooms in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese turns lightly golden.
Spinach Mixture: Before and After Bread Crumbs and Cheese
Ready to Go in the Oven!
Fresh Out of the Oven, Still Bubbly Hot!
This recipe calls for healthier versions of ingredients such as:
- 1% milk
- Mozzarella cheese that is part skim milk and/or fat free
- Light cream cheese
- Whole wheat bread crumbs
By adding in these lower fat and lighter varieties you can take a potentially diet busting dish and make it healthy.
This idea can be carried over to many other recipes and existing dishes you already create.
Try a healthier alternative in your everyday meals and see if you or your family even notices the difference—your waistline is sure to take notice.
If you have any remaining mixture combine leftover bread crumbs, cheese and spinach mixture and spread over fish or a seasoned chicken breast prior to baking to keep your mushroom theme going.
It is absolutely delicious over Asian catfish (basa fish) with stuffed mushroom caps on the side.
Fresh From the Oven!
There are so many things that can be done with the mushroom that are super tasty and nutritious.
With so many varieties to choose from...
- White Button
...this vegetable is a versatile fungi that is packed with essential nutrients.
wiserworld on March 07, 2020:
Those look so delicious! I'm going to try cooking these this month :)
Dale Anderson from The High Seas on June 29, 2014:
I eat mushrooms at least 3 times a week so I'm always looking for new recipes. This one looks grand.
Stephanie (author) from Canada on March 29, 2013:
I adore mushrooms and try to add it and garlic to most meals I make.
I thought stuffed mushrooms were something extremely complicated until my mother-in-law showed me how simple making stuffed mushrooms can be. Since she taught me that I've been on a roll making all sorts of stuffed mushroom dishes and coming up with all sorts of unique and delicious stuffed mushroom recipes.
If you really love stuffed mushrooms you won't regret trying this cheesy, stuffed mushroom dish!
Rose Clearfield from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on March 29, 2013:
My mouth is watering! Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. I really need to try making stuffed mushrooms sometime. You make it seem easy so I may get inspired now. :)