Oven-Baked Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms With Parmesan
This tasty stuffed-mushroom recipe is great to make for parties, family dinners, and just when you're up for some munchies.
They may be small, but they can satisfy any hunger!
Be Healthy: Use Fresh Ingredients
Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 10 whole white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, light
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 scallions, (bulbs and all)
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, fat free/skim milk variety
- 2-3 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove stems from the mushrooms; dice stems into small pieces and set aside.
- Peel the outer layer of the mushroom heads to get rid of the dirty exterior.
- Chop scallions and spinach until very fine, set aside.
- Crumble a slice of whole wheat bread for bread crumbs, mix a light amount of Parmesan cheese into the crumbs.
- In a small bowl mix diced mushrooms, minced onion and spinach, cream cheese, and milk.
- Add most of the mozzarella cheese into mixture, set aside enough to garnish the top of mushrooms.
- With a tablespoon fill the empty mushroom cavity.
- Sprinkle Parmesan bread crumbs onto the top of the spinach mixture and garnish with leftover mozzarella cheese.
- Place mushrooms cavity side up onto greased baking sheet.
- Cook mushrooms in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese turns lightly golden.
Spinach Mixture: Before and After Bread Crumbs and Cheese
Ready to go in the oven!
Fresh out of the oven, still bubbly hot!
This recipe calls for healthier versions of ingredients such as:
- 1% milk
- Mozzarella cheese that is part skim milk and/or fat free
- Light cream cheese
- Whole wheat bread crumbs
By adding in these lower fat and lighter varieties you can take a potentially diet busting dish and make it healthy.
This idea can be carried over to many other recipes and existing dishes you already create.
Try a healthier alternative in your everyday meals and see if you or your family even notices the difference - your waistline is sure to take notice.
If you have any remaining mixture combine leftover bread crumbs, cheese and spinach mixture and spread over fish or a seasoned chicken breast prior to baking to keep your mushroom theme going.
It is absolutely delicious over Asian catfish (basa fish) with stuffed mushroom caps on the side.
Fresh from the oven!
|Serving size: 1 mushroom|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 94 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
There are so many things that can be done with the mushroom that are super tasty and nutritious.
With so many varieties to choose from...
- White Button
...this vegetable is a versatile fungi that is packed with essential nutrients.