Healthy Recipes: Spinach and Paneer Curry Recipe
Spinach and paneer curry is popularly known as "Palak Paneer." It is a bright green, creamy curry with a fresh flavor. Herbs like ginger, garlic, and green chili give a special freshness to the curry. Enjoy eating this side dish with pancakes, flatbreads, or with roti/Parata.
- 2 heaped cups spinach leaves, randomly chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green chili, chopped
- 3-4 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup paneer, medium size cubes
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, optional, store bought
- a pinch sugar
- 1 tsp butter, garnishing
- 1/4 tsp amchur (dry mango) powder, optional, for sourness
- salt, to taste
- Separate spinach leaves from the stem. Wash the leaves in running water, rinse 2-3 times until clean. Pat dry the leaves.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a deep bottomed pan. Saute the spinach leaves for 2-3 minutes. Add some salt. No need to add water. Spinach releases moisture as it cooks. Let the entire moisture go away.
- Add chopped tomato. Cook till tomato becomes partly mashed. Turn off the fire.
- Take ginger, garlic, and green chili in a small pan. Add 1/2 tsp oil. Fry for 1/2 minute. Add this mix with the sautéed spinach.
- Grind together to get a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Wash paneer cubes in boiling water. Drain the water. Run cold water on paneer, strain, keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a deep bottomed pan. Saute the paneer pieces for 1/2 a minute. Pour the spinach paste. Cook on low flame till it starts boiling. Add garam masala powder (optional), dry mango powder (amchur powder), sugar and salt. Be careful while adding salt. Spinach dishes tend to be saltier often. Transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Pour a tea spoon butter on top. Serve hot as a side dish for flat breads/roti.
Health Benefits of Eating Spinach and Paneer Curry
- Spinach: Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin A and K (in the form of carotenoids), iron, copper, manganese, folate, magnesium, vitamin B6 and B2, vitamin E, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. It is a rich source of dietary fiber, zinc, protein, choline, and phosphorus. It has anti-oxidants and also omega-3 fatty acids. All these nutrients are good for health. Spinach should always be consumed in cooked form.
- Paneer: Paneer has anti-oxidant properties. It helps in improving bone health, helps in weight loss, and is good for people with diabetes. It is rich in protein, magnesium, and potassium. It has the quality to prevent deadly diseases like cancer and heart disease.
- Ginger and Garlic: Both these herbs are known for their medicinal properties and good flavor. They are good in fighting infections, preventing cancer, reducing inflammation. Garlic has anti-bacterial properties; when applied on wounds, it cures fungal infections. Garlic prevents cold infections.
Nutrition Information of Spinach and Paneer curry
|Serving size: 125 ml|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 5 mg||2%|
|Sodium 780 mg||33%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|