Guide to Make Split Black Lentil Flour Chutney (Udnittu)
Split Black Lentil Flour and Curds Chutney (Udnittu)
A Healthy and Mouth-Watering Side Dish
Udnittu is a very popular side dish served in certain parts of Karnataka, India. This is a home dish served with steamed rice. You can make this mouth-watering dish in ten minutes.
Split black gram flour (urad flour) is the main ingredient to make this chutney. This flour has a very appetizing aroma and taste. Udnittu pairs well with cooked rice.
Black gram improves digestion and boosts energy. It is a rich source of protein and vitamin B. It helps to prevent diabetes and improves bone mineral density. It is considered good for skin and heart health too.
Making Udnittu At-a-Glance:
You have to take urad flour in a mixing bowl. Add slit green chilies, hing, sour curds, minced ginger, and salt. Mix everything with your fingers. Add water to adjust the consistency.
This chutney should be as thick as dosa batter. Next, add a tempering with coconut oil. Serve it with cooked rice. Eating this chutney one or two teaspoons as is will surely be fun!
We will now have a look at the detailed recipe.
- 1 medium-size cup split white lentil flour (urad flour)
- 1 1/2 cup curds (moderately sour), alternatively, you can use sour buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp hing or asafoetida, solid or powder
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced
- 4-5 green chilies, slit, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- water as required
- 2 tsp coconut oil, or any other oil, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp split white lentils (urad dal), for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 dry chili, broken, for the tempering
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Split Black Lentil Flour and Curds Chutney
- Take urad flour in a mixing bowl. Add curds and salt. Mix well with your fingers. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Next, add slit green chilies, minced ginger, and hing. Combine well with the mixture.
- Press the chilies, so that the chutney will be spicy and tasty.
- This chutney should be hot and spicy. Hence, use a bit more chilies, ginger, and salt compared to other chutney.
- If using solid hing, confirm that it is dissolved properly.
- Now, the chutney is ready. Next, you have to add a tempering to it.
- Heat coconut oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in split white lentils, curry leaves, and broken chilies. Mix well.
- When the lentil turns golden brown, transfer the tempering to the chutney bowl. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite udnittu is ready. This is a true tempting dish. Serve it with hot rice. Enjoy the taste!