Susan enjoys being creative in the kitchen. She is always inspired to look for ways to make food appealing to the eye.
Sweet Potato Casserole With a Twist
This recipe is a different take on the traditional sweet potato casserole. I've experimented with different fruits in this recipe, and I think apricots had some of the best results.
I came up with this recipe entirely on my own, and it's been a hit in my household. I think you, your family, and your guests will enjoy it too.
- 1 can sweet potatoes
- 2 cans apricots
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 bag whole dates
- 1 bag crushed sugared dates
- 1 large banana
- Drain the sweet potatoes and then mash them in a small bowl.
- Add margarine to the potatoes and blend until creamy.
- Add brown sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Open apricots and drain. In a separate small bowl, mash the apricots into small pieces.
- Add the apricots to the sweet potato mixture. Add apricot juice as needed to obtain the desired consistency. Mix well.
- Transfer the potato-apricot mixture into a medium-size casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 300°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool.
- When the casserole has cooled, place the whole seedless dates, one in each of the four corners, as shown in the photo above.
- Place a ring of crushed sugared dates around the whole date.
- Place a ring of bananas around each date, at an angle as the picture shows, to resemble a flower.
Nithya Venkat from Dubai on November 26, 2020:
Easy to make and delicious recipe, thank you for sharing.
FlourishAnyway from USA on November 26, 2020:
Looks like a nice natural treat and different from many other casseroles available, especially this time of year.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on November 26, 2020:
The picture of your dish looks pretty and would satisfy a sweet tooth at the same time.
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on November 25, 2020:
Sweet potatoes and apricots sounds like a very nice mixture. I like the idea of putting banana slices on the top, too. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Liz Westwood from UK on November 25, 2020:
Your recipes are giving me fresh dessert ideas.