I enjoy cooking simple and tasty dishes, especially ones with healthy ingredients.
A Sweet Summer Salad
This sweet and simple broccoli and mandarin orange salad also contains red onions and cheddar cheese, topped off with a light dressing. It's easy to make and ideal for summer picnics and family gatherings. Not only does it taste delicious, it's colorful ingredients make it lovely to look at! It's the perfect side dish for a barbecue but I enjoy it as a light meal in itself.
Packed with nutrition, this salad will keep you wanting second servings all summer long!
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges in water (no sugar added), drained
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
If you end up needing a little extra dressing, simply whip together:
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white granulated sugar
How to Cut Broccoli Florets
- Clean the broccoli bunches and cut them into florets. Set aside.
- Dice the onion and set aside.
- Shred the cheese and set aside.
- Drain the mandarin oranges.
- Lightly combine the broccoli florets, onion, mandarin oranges and cheese in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar together to create the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and mix all the ingredients together gently with a mixing spoon.
- If desired, crumble bacon over the salad or lightly mix it into the salad with a mixing spoon.
- For the best flavor, refrigerate the salad overnight before serving.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
|Vitamin C||Vitamin A||Potassium||Calcium|
Helps protect you against a variety of cancers
Helps protect your body against infections.
Helps regulate your blood pressure.
Helps keep your bones strong and helps prevent osteoporosis.
Helps protect you against cardiovascular disease.
Helps preserve your vision and protects you against some eye diseases.
Helps keep your muscles healthy.
Helps maintain healthy heart, muscles and nerves.
Strengthens your body's immune system.
May protect you against some types of cancer.
Reduces the formation of kidney stones.
Helps protect you agains cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Helps delay or prevent the formation of cataracts.
Boosts your immune system.
Helps prevent osteoporosis.
Promotes healthy teeth.
How to Make Homemade Mayonnaise
© 2020 Madeleine Clays
Thelma Alberts from Germany on June 14, 2020:
This looks so delicious. I have not tried broccoli with mandarine orange yet in my salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe.