Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Rare, Unique Tomato Recipe
People make many varieties of dishes with tomatoes. But tomato tambuli is a rare recipe I have come across. Recently, I made it, and it was fantastic. It is truly a very easy and simple dish to make.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh curd, not sour
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 dry red chilies, not so hot variety, broken
- 2-3 cups water, or as required
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee or oil, 1 tsp for sauteing, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 4 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- a pinch sugar, optional, to balance the sourness
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Tomato Tambuli
- Heat ghee in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Add dry red chilies. Saute for 5 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Throw in some salt. This will speed up cooking. Stir-cook over medium high heat until tomatoes are mushy. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer it to a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut, a pinch of sugar, remaining salt, and some curds.
- Grind to get a smooth paste. Collect the paste in a large bowl.
- Add remaining curds. Add water. Stir nicely. Check for taste. Add salt, if needed. Now, the tambuli is ready!
- Next, add a tempering to it. For that, heat remaining ghee in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in curry leaves. Mix well. Turn off the heat. Pour it on the tambuli. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve this delicious side dish with steamed rice or drink a cup of it as is! Enjoy the taste.