Making Dried Green Pea Curry
Dried Green Pea (Masala) Curry
Green Peas Are Good for Your Health!
Green peas are a good source of protein and dietary fiber. They have little fat and no cholesterol. To make dried green pea curry, you have to soak them in water overnight or for at least ten hours.
Further, you have to cook them with fresh water and some salt. You can make a variety of delicious curries with these boiled green peas by adding vegetables and spices of your choice.
Now, I will show you how to make a spicy dried green pea curry. Serve it with flatbread, roti, or chapati.
Some Important Tips:
1. This curry often becomes salty. Be careful when adding salt. Remember that you are adding salt while cooking the green peas.
2. Serve this side dish with freshly chopped onions on the side. This is a fantastic combination.
- 1 bowl dried green peas, soaked overnight and boiled
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp carrots, grated
- 2 green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tbsp chole masala, available in Indian stores
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the taste
- 1/2 tsp or less salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Dried Green Pea Curry
- Soak dried green peas in water overnight or for about 10 hours. Add fresh water and some salt. Cook them in a pressure cooker up to four whistles and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Keep all other ingredients ready.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped onions, green chilies, and ginger. Saute till onions become golden brown.
- Add grated carrots. Continue sauteing for a minute. Throw in chopped tomatoes. Add some salt and turmeric powder. Cook them till tomato becomes almost mushy.
- Add chole masala powder. Saute the mix for a minute or till the raw smell disappears from the masala.
- Add sugar. Pour one and a half cup of water. Bring the mix to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked green peas with the stock. Mix well. Boil the mix for two minutes. Adjust the consistency by adding some water.
- Throw in chopped coriander leaves, reserving a few for garnishing.
- Give a nice stir. Turn off the stove. Your yummy dried green peas side dish is ready!
- Serve them hot or warm. Garnish it with freshly chopped onions and a few coriander leaves. Enjoy eating while dunking the flatbread into this fabulous curry.
Nutritional Information of Green Peas Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 12 g||48%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 168 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|