Vegetable, Chickpea, and Potato Curry Recipe
This is my favorite vegetable curry, because it is easy to make and uses up leftover vegetables.
Tasty and Fulfilling Vegetarian Curry
- 1 can chickpeas, already cooked
- 4–6 potatoes, boiled
- 6 small tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 tube tomato puree
- Mixed spices
- 1 stick celery, fresh
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger
All these ingredients are made from powders:
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 green cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
- Par-boil 4-6 potatoes. Don’t cook them to the point of being soft, or they will go mushy in the final cook.
- Chop, onions, garlic, celery, and ginger. Add any amount of vegetables that need using up from previous meals.
- Mix your spices, making sure that they are fresh and still full of flavour.
- Heat a frying pan and add a tablespoon of ghee, or oil whichever you prefer.
- Add onions and celery and a pinch of salt and fry until soft. Don’t cook them so long that they turn brown, or it will spoil the flavour.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes. Put them aside in a warm saucepan.
- Add your spice mix to the warm frying pan and put back onto a gentle heat, until they start toasting. You’ll be able to smell them.
- Add your chickpeas and stir so that they are coated in the spice mix. Add back the onion mix and the garlic and ginger. Keep stirring and add 1/2 pint of water with some vegetable stock.
- Put the lid on and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: This dish is perfect with boiled rice or chapattis.