Vegetarian Broccoli & Rice
Please Rate My Recipe
Less Meat Means Better Health
In today's bad economy, the modern family often consists of the parents, the adult children, and a grandparent. My family consists of exactly that, although my children (ages 22 & 24) both have jobs, they could not live on their own with the income they generate. Both my son and daughter are vegetarian, so this presents problems for me at dinnertime if I make something that includes meat -- because they will not eat it.
So, I try to make foods that are vegetarian, despite the fact that my husband, Jerry, and my step-father are both meat-eaters. Neither of them seem to mind, and it makes the money and the food stretch. Besides, their health is probably improving since the food is prepared with less fat and more veggies.
Jerry's been growing a lot of vegetables in the backyard and broccoli is one of them. He had a fairly scraggly-looking crop last spring, but he planted a different type of broccoli this time. His new broccoli crop is just beautiful and ready to harvest -- the heads are compact,nice and full-- they rival the ones at the market!
One of my kids suggested I make "Broccoli & Rice", which sounded great to me so I searched through Google for a vegetarian version of Broccoli & Rice.
Unfortunately, most of the recipes insist on using large amounts of cheese (which I do not like) so I had to keep searching. I ended up finding a good one by Paula Deen that I could adapt to suit my needs. May God Bless you, Paula Deen.
Perfect Every Time
You will find that if you follow these instructions, this rice comes out perfect every time!
I use a large non-stick pot with a lid that closes well to make Vegetarian Broccoli & Rice, but you can use an electric skillet or wok, if you'd prefer.
Serve Vegetarian Broccoli & Rice (Click to Tweet) as a light meal or use it as a side dish to the entrée. Garnish with sliced almonds or a sprig of parsley.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Jerry's Broccoli Harvest
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped, or cut small
- 1-1/2 Cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- In a non-stick frying pan at medium-flame, heat up 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the minced garlic and onion and stir-fry (stir constantly so they do not burn) for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the broccoli. Stir-fry it constantly for 3 minutes, making sure to mix the garlic, onions and broccoli well.
- Now add the raw rice to the pan; brown it by stirring it around and mixing it with the other ingredients for 1 minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer; cover the pan and set your timer for 20 minutes.
- The Vegetarian Broccoli & Rice is cooked and ready to serve. Take the lid off the pan carefully to ensure all the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with fried tofu. Garnish with sliced, toasted almonds or a sprig of parsley.
Nutritional Values for Vegetarian Broccoli & Rice
|Serving size: 1/6|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 83 g||28%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 124 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Mushroom & Broccoli Sticky Rice - Vegan Recipe
Video Recipe: Cheesy Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Broccoli Rice Au Gratin (oh-grah-tin)
© 2015 Miriam Parker
Please Leave Your Comment Below
No comments yet.