Vegetable Pulao With Mint Leaves
Vegetable Pulao: Introduction
Vegetable pulao is an Indian main course dish made with rice, spices, and vegetables. In my recipe, I used mint and coriander leaves for the extra flavor. It is an aromatic food that is very nutritious due to the best ingredients used in making the dish.
This pulao is best eaten with cucumber-onion raita/salad. I have given the recipe here for your quick reference.
- 2 cups Basmati rice, aromatic long rice
- 1/2 cup french beans, cut into 1 inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut into slender 1 inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup capsicum, cut into slender 1 inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup cauliflower, florets cut into long pieces
- a fistful fresh peas/frozen
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 heaped cup mint leaves, washed, for the paste
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, washed, for the paste
- 5 cloves garlic, for the paste
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, for the paste
- 3 nos green chili, for the paste
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, for the paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder, Available in Indian stores
- 3 tbsp oil/ghee/butter, I used 50% oil and 50% ghee
- 3 tbsp grated coconut, optional, for the paste
- a few pepper corns, for the paste
- 2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions of Making Vegetable Pulao:
- Wash basmati rice in water. Add fresh water and soak for 15 minutes. Take rice in a cooker container, and add the soaked water till 3/4 inch above the rice level. Add french beans, cauliflower, knol khol (kohlrabi), and carrot. Cook till one whistle, simmer for two-three minutes. Remove the cooker from the cook top. Spread the rice on a plate once the pressure comes down.
- Take ginger, garlic, green chili, grated coconut, Garam masala powder, peppercorns, mint leaves, and coriander leaves in a blender/mixer. Dry grind or make a paste.
- Keep the other vegetables ready.
- Start making vegetable pulao. Heat oil and ghee or butter in a wide pan. Throw chopped onion. Saute till golden brown. Add fresh peas/frozen peas. Saute till it is soft. Throw chopped capsicum. Cook for two minutes.
- Add the ground paste/powder. Saute till you get a fine aroma of fried spices in it. Let the fire be very low. Add cooked rice with vegetables. Throw salt. Gently mix once. Be careful that the rice should not break. Simmer for a few minutes or till the spices and salt mix with the rice thoroughly. You can sprinkle a few drops of water if you find it very dry.
- Vegetable pulao with mint leaves is ready to serve. Serve hot with cucumber-onion-tomato raita/salad.
How to Make Cucumber-Onion-Tomato Raita/Salad:
- 1 cup of cucumber
- 1 green chili
- half an onion
- one small tomato
- 2 cups of curds or yogurt
- cilantro, salt to taste
- Finely chop cucumber (1 cup), one green chili, half of an onion, and one small tomato.
- Mix the above with two cups of thick curds or yogurt. Add salt as per taste. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Cucumber salad/raita is ready to serve.
Vegetable Pulao Nutritional Information
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 16 g||25%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 14 mg||5%|
|Sodium 32 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|