Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
What Is Mint Leaves Vegetable Pulao?
Vegetable pulao is an Indian main course dish made with rice, spices, and vegetables. In my recipe, I used mint and coriander leaves for the extra flavor. It is an aromatic food that is very nutritious due to the best ingredients used in making the dish.
This pulao is best eaten with cucumber-onion raita/salad. I have given the recipe here for your reference.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves eight people
Read More From Delishably
- 2 cups basmati rice, or another aromatic long rice
- 1/2 cup french beans, cut into 1-inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut into slender 1-inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup capsicum, cut into slender 1-inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup cauliflower, florets cut into long pieces
- A fistful fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 heaped cup mint leaves, washed, for the paste
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, washed, for the paste
- 5 cloves garlic, for the paste
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, for the paste
- 3 green chilis, for the paste
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, for the paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, for the paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 3 tablespoons oil/ghee/butter, I used 50% oil and 50% ghee
- 3 tablespoons grated coconut, optional, for the paste
- A few pepper corns, for the paste
- 2 teaspoons salt, or as per taste
- Wash basmati rice in water. Add fresh water and soak for 15 minutes.
- Take rice in a cooker container and add the soaked water up to 3/4 inch above the rice level. Add french beans, cauliflower, knol khol (kohlrabi), and carrot. Cook till one whistle, simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the cooker from the cook top. Spread the rice on a plate once the pressure comes down.
- Take ginger, garlic, green chili, grated coconut, garam masala powder, peppercorns, mint leaves, and coriander leaves in a blender/mixer. Dry grind the mixture or make a paste. Keep the other vegetables ready.
- Start making vegetable pulao. Heat oil and ghee or butter in a wide pan. Throw in chopped onion. Sauté until golden brown. Add peas. Sauté until soft. Throw in chopped capsicum. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground paste/powder. Sauté until you get a fine aroma of fried spices in it. Let the heat be very low. Add cooked rice with vegetables. Throw in some salt. Gently mix once. Be careful that the rice does not break. Simmer for a few minutes or until the spices and salt mix with the rice thoroughly. You can sprinkle a few drops of water if you find it very dry.
- Vegetable pulao with mint leaves is ready to serve. Serve hot with cucumber-onion-tomato raita/salad.
How to Make Cucumber-Onion-Tomato Raita
Here's how to make some delicious cucumber-onion-tomato raita, which goes great with the pulao.
- 1 cup cucumber
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 onion
- 1 small tomato
- 2 cups of curds or yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- Finely chop cucumber, green chili, onion, and tomato.
- Mix the above with 2 cups of thick curds or yogurt. Add salt to taste. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Cucumber raita is ready to serve.