Veggie Quesadillas With Lentils
Quesadillas are versatile, delicious, and really easy to make. I like to pack them with veggies—and the kids don't even mind because they get to dip everything in sour cream, anyway! For an easy weeknight dinner, I like to make these ahead of time and then reheat them right before serving.
- 16 tortillas
- 1 zucchini, chopped into small pieces
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can black beluga lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and zucchini. Sautée until zucchini is slightly browned and the onions are starting to get translucent.
- Turn heat to low and add garlic. Stir frequently to prevent the garlic from burning. Add spices and continue to cook until all veggies are fork tender and cooked through.
- Lay out tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet or clean counter top where you have enough space for at least 4 tortillas.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese onto each tortilla, then top with cooked veggies and finally a spoonful or two of the lentils.
- Add another layer of cheese and top with another tortilla.
- Heat frying pan to medium heat and add a small bit of olive oil to the pan.
- Carefully place one quesadilla into the pan, trying not to spill the contents out of the edges of the tortilla.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip the quesadilla to cook the other side and warm the contents. You may need more or less time, but the quesadilla will be cooked when it is golden brown on the outside and the cheese is melted on the inside.
- Repeat with each quesadilla until they are all cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
- These can be made ahead of time and reheated at a later time in a toaster oven or again on the stovetop in a pan. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, or your favorite salsa. (Or all three!)
- *Side note: you can use my recipe for caramelized onions in the quesadillas to give them more depth of flavor!
What do you think?
Nutrition Reflects 2 Quesadillas Per Person
|Serving size: 4|
|Calories from Fat||189|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 21 g||32%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Carbohydrates 171 g||57%|
|Sugar 13 g|
|Fiber 13 g||52%|
|Protein 61 g||122%|
|Cholesterol 6 mg||2%|
|Sodium 1675 mg||70%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
What do you like to put in your quesadillas?
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Lisa Bean