Rebecca loves sharing what she knows about alternative medicine, health, frugal living, fun, animals, and how to live a better life!
Leeks are a bit of a strange vegetable. It isn't the type of vegetable people just have on hand. Most of the time when you buy leeks, you're doing so for a specific recipe. So we often use only part of this flavorful food—and then just throw the rest of it away.
Often, I make soups with the bottom part of the leeks, but then I'm left with the unneeded tops. I got sick of throwing the tops away, and I wanted to find a way to use them. I don't like to waste food if I can avoid it.
These chips are the perfect solution. You can enjoy them with a salad or as a soup topping. They're equally delicious by themselves or with a dip. They have a light crunch and a crispy, distinguished onion flavor, so you don't even need to season them. They keep well in an airtight container. They are a nice, resourceful, and healthy vegan snack!
The only downside to making these chips is that it's a bit time-consuming. The chips take a long time to dry out, so plan to make them ahead if you need them as a garnish for another dish.
Read More From Delishably
So stop throwing away those leek tops! Enjoy them with other foods or as a healthy snack on their own.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
8 hours 5 min
Yields 5 oz or more
Use a Food Dehydrator or an Oven
- Clean your leeks really well (they tend to be full of dirt/sand), use the tops to slice into square or rectangular shapes
- If you are using an oven, line a baking pan with parchment paper and bake at 130 degrees (or on your lowest oven setting) for 8 hours.
- If you are using a food dehydrator, line the dehydrator with your leek slices and dehydrate for 8 hours at about a 115-130 degree setting.
- Enjoy as a snack with or without dip, or as a crispy, crunchy topping on salads or soup. Store in airtight containers or a sealed bag.
Prepping Leek Chips
Looking for a Potato Leek Soup Recipe?
- Potato Leek Soup in Your Instant Pot!
This is a delicious, comforting, yet classy soup. A family favorite!
© 2019 Rebecca