Satisfying Black Bean Soup
What to eat? A quick black bean soup will work.
One night, my daughter browsed the pantry for a late-night dinner. Finally home from work and school, something to eat was required—and it had to be easy. Glancing at a can of beans gave her just what she needed.
She added her own ideas and came up with a spicy soup that is very satisfying. Try it and see if you can add this to your cooking repertoire. Your body will love you for it because the latest news is the black bean rocks.
The Latest Nutritional News
Beside all the benefits that legumes have, black beans carry the color packed flavonoids. Eight extra flavonoids that equals red wines in anti-oxidants. It is in the black skin that these nutrients hold their punch.
The omega 3 fatty acids are 3 times stronger in the black bean than the rich red kidney bean. So reach for the black ones and get a new taste treat in the bargain.
Leave a Rating for This Recipe
Cooked the Dried Beans
Since making pinto beans is my habit, I went to the Latino swap meet to buy pintos and bought a couple of pounds of black beans, as well. The vendor was very generous and threw in 4 heads of garlic.
The next day I made a pot of beans and the soup, setting a bowl aside without the El Pato for my husband. El Pato is where the Hot comes from.
- 1 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 oz El Pato Mexican Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup onion, minched
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen petite corn
- juice of 1/2 lemon squeeze
- 1 tsp. ancho chili powder
- Cook 1 1/3 cups dried black beans cooked till tender. (If you need instructions on cooking dried beans, check out this tutorial.)
- Drain the beans and save a cup of liquid for adjustments later.
- Mash half of the beans and combine with the whole beans into a 3 quart pot. Or use drained canned beans if you prefer.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Adjust soup with bean cooking liquid if necessary. Heat till hot, and serve with tortillas warmed till slightly browned.
- Garnish with mozzarella cheese or sour cream.
For the HOT in Your Soup
Do You Include Beans into Your Diet?
Questions & Answers
© 2009 Sherry Venegas