Homemade Vegetable Soup
Looking for an Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe Like Grandma Used to Make?
As a kid, I used to love my mother's homemade vegetable soup. In the fall and winter it brought comfort and even years later when I made it for my husband, he quickly developed a taste for it as well.
With simple, inexpensive ingredients my mother's homemade vegetable soup was very easy to put together. Although she had no written recipe for her soup, I followed her around as she made it one afternoon many years ago and made notes of the ingredients and quantities so that I could replicate her recipe.
Below you'll find her homemade vegetable soup recipe from my childhood.
About My Mother's Homemade Vegetable Soup
Actually a Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
My mother made this vegetable soup in the fall and winter mostly. Some fresh vegetables were harder to come by and thus some of the vegetables were canned. The advantage of course, was that the preparation and cooking time was reduced. I've written the recipe to conform to exactly how she made it.
This homemade vegetable soup recipe includes beef; it's not a vegetarian dish. It should probably be more accurately described as a homemade vegetable beef soup. However, if you choose to leave out the beef it would obviously be more vegetarian friendly although it would still have the beef broth!
Either way, this is an affordable and easy soup to put together.
The Tools You'll Need to Make this Homemade Vegetable Soup
The tools you will need to make this homemade vegetable soup are:
- An 8 quart stock pot
- a cutting board,
- a vegetable peeler
- a knife
- pressure cooker if you choose to follow the recipe strictly
- a can opener
It doesn't get much easier than that!
Nothing exotic here, you'll find all of the ingredients at the local grocery store. The recipe will easily feed a family of 4 to 6.
- 2 small potatoes (peeled/chunked)
- 2 small carrots (sliced)
- 1 sweet (bell) green pepper (chunked)
- 1 medium sized yellow onion (chopped)
- 1-2 stalks of celery (sliced 1/4-1/2")
- 1 small red delicious apple (peeled/chunked)
- 1 small turnip (chunked)
- 1- 14 oz can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1- 14oz can green peas (drained)
- 64 oz V8 (or other brand) 100% vegetable juice
- 1 lb. beef chuck roast
- one can beef broth or 2 cups water with dissolved beef bouillon**
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Salt to taste.
**May use more broth as needed.
My Mother's Easy Vegetable Soup
Her homemade vegetable soup recipe
The meat can be prepared however you prefer, but my mother used a pressure cooker for her homemade vegetable soup and indeed, it produces a very tender meat.
- Place the chuck roast in the pressure cooker with water. Cook for 20-30 minutes. Remove any fat and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, prepare vegetables and apple (peel/chunk/slice). Add to the stock pot with canned or frozen vegetables.
- Add in vegetable juice and beef broth (or water with bouillon) and stir in seasons. Bring to a full boil then reduce heat to medium.
- Add meat once it has finished cooking in the pressure cooker. Reduce heat to med-low and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes.
As kids we had a bowl of this soup accompanied by saltine crackers and a slice or two of cheddar cheese.