Recipe for Indian Onion Salad/Chutney/Dip for Poppadoms
Indian Onion Salad Recipe
Everyone enjoys the fresh, crisp taste of onions, cucumbers, and garden mint. You have come to the right place to learn how to make Indian onion salad—or chutney, as some people call it.
This is a recipe for an onion salad that's traditionally eaten with Indian poppadoms, but that doesn't mean you cannot eat it with anything else! You may already buy poppadoms and jars of chutneys from supermarkets or takeaways, but now you can make your own fresh onion salad at home.
The quick and easy recipe for this salad uses simple ingredients, listed below.
- 3 onions
- 1/3 cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Fresh garden mint sauce
- 1 teaspoon of crushed methi leaves (fenugreek leaves)
- 1 slice of fresh lemon
- Get a clean chopping board and a clean vegetable cutting knife you feel comfortable using.
- Dice all three onions very finely and place them in a clean medium-sized bowl.
- Dice the cucumber and tomato very finely. Leave the mint sauce, methi leaves, fresh slice of lemon, and coriander until last.
- Cut the fresh slice of lemon and coriander as finely as possible. The finer you cut them, the better the tastes will meld together.
- Place everything in the bowl, including the mint sauce and methi leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients together slowly and as carefully as possible so as not to squash them. You do not want to release the moisture from the ingredients.
Voilà! There you have it: onion salad you made yourself to enjoy with poppadoms from your local Indian restaurant or supermarket!
Tomato-Onion Salad and Other Ways to Spice up Your Chutney
Below is a video on how to make Indian onion chutney with a twist. Instead of fresh tomatoes, mint, and cucumber, it adds canned plum tomatoes, chopped green chilis, and garlic. The ingredients are all mixed in a bowl and then placed on a plate ready to eat with your favourite curry or poppadoms—or anything else, for that matter.
This recipe can be easily modified with different ingredients.
- For example, you can use roasted tomatoes instead of tinned plum tomatoes to get that barbecue flavour.
- If you're looking for something spicy, this Indian onion salad is especially tasty if you add black fried bird's eye chilis.