I love to cook and try new foods and recipes. I try to do my best to incorporate healthy foods, but sometimes I need a little comfort food.
I Tasted This at a Restaurant and Needed to Make It at Home
Here is a super fresh-tasting salad with a bunch of complementary flavors and textures. Crunchy fresh greens, sweet strawberries and blueberries, creamy bleu cheese, and honey-glazed pecans all enhance the flavor of the chicken.
So many flavors. The strawberries and blueberries add brightness to the salad, while the bleu cheese adds a creamy/savory flavor. The sweetness and the soft crunch of the pecans are yet another layer and texture of flavor.
I have to admit, this is not my original creation. I tasted strawberry blueberry chicken salad at a chain restaurant and fell in love with it. I was craving it at home, so I had to experiment and see if I could duplicate it. Happy day, I can! Now I can have this tasty treat whenever I want.
Strawberry Blueberry Chicken Salad Recipe
- I made this with baked chicken, but my plans are to grill the chicken on the barbecue this summer. I think this will make a great dish for outdoor entertaining. The salad could be on the plates and ready as the chicken comes off the grill. A sprinkle of nuts and blue cheese.
- This is also a great way to use leftover chicken.
- The salad shown was made with Romaine lettuce. I like to use both the dark green soft top of the leaf and mix it with the crunchier light green hearts. You could use whatever kind of salad greens you prefer.
- The chicken is the Perdue individually wrapped chicken breast halves. You could also make this with Gardein's Chick'n Scallopini to keep this vegan.
- I like Newman's Own Poppy Seed salad dressing the best on this chicken salad. My second favorite would be Kraft Creamy Poppy Seed dressing if I can't find the Newman's Own. I have tried Olde Cape Cod Lite Sweet & Sour Poppyseed dressing and I found the flavor thin—maybe because it was the "Lite" dressing.
|Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 boned chicken breast halves cooked
- 10 medium size fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1/2 cup honey glazed pecans (about 10 pecans)
- 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 3/4 cup poppy seed salad dressing
- For baked chicken, I put a little salt on the chicken and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Then I put it under the broiler for 7 minutes, just to give it a little color. This timing works for thin boneless skinless breasts. Thicker cuts may take longer.
- Meanwhile, tear or cut the greens and rinse. Wash the strawberries and blueberries. Slice the strawberries and put the berries and greens in a colander to drain well. Shake the excess water off and toss the berries and greens with the poppy seed dressing.
- Place the mixture on 2 serving plates.
- When done remove the chicken from the oven. Let sit one minute to cool, then cut in strips and place on salad. Top with crumbled blue cheese and crumbled pecans.
Yesterday, I ate a similar salad at a different restaurant. Their variation was that they added a few thin slices of pineapple and some mandarin orange slices. They used regular pecans instead of the honey-glazed pecans. I must say, it was very good too.
© 2013 Ellen Gregory
Stop a minute and give me your thoughts
acreativethinker on August 30, 2013:
That looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing. :)
June Campbell from North Vancouver, BC, Canada on June 14, 2013:
It looks good. I will be trying this as soon as the hot weather comes this year.
Ardyn25 on June 10, 2013:
This looks so yummy...I'm pining it to try, thanks!
IMKZRNU2 from Pacific Northwest on May 29, 2013:
This salad looks wonderful. I can't wait to try it!
Hal Gall from Bloomington, IN on May 29, 2013:
Looks simply delicious and healthy. I would have to buy a couple extra cans of honey glazed pecans, as I am quite certain that buying just one would be a mistake!
Angela F from Seattle, WA on May 29, 2013:
Chicken with dried apricots and cranberries is one of my favorite salads so this combination is especially appealing to me.
hntrssthmpsn on May 23, 2013:
Cool! Love the idea of grilling the chicken and serving this with a barbecue. I love blueberries in salad, and my son's a big fan of chicken.
anonymous on May 21, 2013:
That salad looks wonderful!
Renaissance Woman from Colorado on May 20, 2013:
Yum! I would never have thought to try this combination, but I know that I will love it. Thanks for coming up with your own version of the recipe for us. Can't wait to try it.
JimHofman on May 13, 2013:
Boy am I hungry now! I like a good salad and this one looks delicious. I'll try your recipe soon...thank you!
anonymous on May 13, 2013:
Now that is a combination of flavors and textures that is absolutely unique! How cool that you were able to duplicate this deliciousness and I'm guessing that was a little complex to do....yum! :)
KonaGirl from New York on May 12, 2013:
Beautiful salad. I make salads like this often, but without the chicken and with more salad veggies and they are delicious!
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on May 12, 2013:
What a healthy salad. This could become a favourite.
anonymous on May 10, 2013:
A beautiful lens. I never thought of a chicken salad with strawberry or blueberry. The image of the salad is mouthwatering. I am definitely going to make it salad next week!