Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Green pea paratha, or hare matar ka paratha, is a delicious whole-wheat unleavened flatbread stuffed with a spiced, mashed pea filling. It is a North Indian breakfast food and a winter delicacy that can be made with either fresh or frozen green peas. This recipe is free of both onions and garlic.
Serve this paratha with cilantro mint chutney (pudina), dahi, or raita.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Read More From Delishably
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas, boiled
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp amchur (mango powder)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp hara chania (cilantro), chopped
- 4-5 tsp desi ghee (clarified butter)
- Mash the boiled and cooled peas with a potato masher. Add all the spices and stir-mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat a tawa (skillet) on low-medium heat and start making the parathas.
- Method 1: Roll out 2 rotis of about 4 inches diameter; then spread half the stuffing on one roti. Place the other roti over it and press the around the edges to seal.
- Roll out the paratha after dusting with some dry flour until it is rolled out to a medium thickness.
- Spread a little desi ghee on the hot tawa and place the paratha on it. Cook for 15 seconds; then flip and cook the other side for 15 seconds.
- Flip again, apply some ghee on top, and flip again. Apply ghee on the other side and flip again.
- Keep flipping and cook until the paratha is golden and crisp on both sides. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Method 2: Roll out only 1 roti about 4 inches in diameter; then place a ball of the remaining stuffing in the center of the roti. Lift and fold the edges all around to collect them and seal at the top.
- Roll out the paratha; then pan-fry it as you did in the first method.
- Serve with coriander mint chutney, dahi, or raita.
Video: Stuffed Green Pea Paratha Two Ways
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly