Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Making breakfast sometimes needs prior planning, especially if the recipe requires fermentation. Rava idli is an instant dish. You don't need to ferment this batter. I used medium-size rava (cream of wheat), yogurt, and fruit salt, along with the spices to make these idlis.
Now I am eager to share the detailed recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves three people
- 1 1/2 cups medium-size rava or semolina(cream of wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt or thick curds, medium sour
- 1 teaspoon split chickpea/gram dal
- 1 teaspoon white lentils
- 8-10 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ghee or oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fruit salt/cooking soda, I used Eno fruit salt
- 2 pinches hing powder/asafoetida
- Dry saute semolina in a deep bottomed pan for about 5 minutes on low heat. Don't roast it. Keep aside for cooling.
- When it turns almost to room temperature, add yogurt, half a cup of water, and salt. Mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- By this time, the semolina absorbs moisture and the batter becomes thick. Adjust the batter consistency by adding water. Stir well.
- Take ghee or oil in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add split chickpeas/gram dal and white lentils. Saute till they become golden brown.
- Turn off the heat. Add chopped curry leaves and hing powder. Mix well. Pour the tempering on the batter. Mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds. Heat the steamer for making idlis.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves to the batter. Throw in cooking soda or fruit salt. Give a gentle stir.
- The batter increases in volume and becomes light. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into each idli mould. Arrange the idli stand. Keep it inside the steamer. Close the lid.
- Steam-cook them on high-heat for about 12 minutes. Afterward, turn off the heat. Set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the lid. Take out the idli stand. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the idlis. Keep aside for 5-8 minutes.
- Separate the idlis from the moulds by running a blunt knife or spoon handle through the edge.
- Your favorite soft rava idlis are ready. Serve three of them in a plate with a spicy chutney or sauce.
- They remain soft even when they turn cold. Enjoy eating these yummy idlis!