Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Sweet and Tangy Side Dish
Aam ki launji is a mango relish prepared with raw mangoes. It is a sweet and tangy side dish that is often served with roti or rice as a replacement for pickle. In fact, if you have this relish with rice or roti you will not miss not having another side dish.
It is very easy to prepare and once stored in the fridge will keep well for up to five to six months. In this recipe, we have replaced sugar with jaggery to make it healthier, but you have the option to use sugar if you prefer.
Do try it and share your experience.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
- 500 grams raw mangoes, peeled, seeds removed and cut into medium-sized pieces
- 300 grams gur (jaggery), or 250 grams sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sarson ka tel (mustard oil)
- 2 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 1 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tsp sabut dhania (coriander seeds), crushed coarsely
- 1 tsp methi dana (fenugreek seeds), ground coarsely
- 1 tsp deghi mirch (red chilli powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
- 1/4 tsp heeng (asafoetida powder)
- 1/2 tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add the heeng, jeera, saunf, crushed coriander seeds, kalonji and coarsely ground methi dana.
- Raise heat to low-medium and roast the spices until they give off their aroma (about 2 minutes).
- Add the mango pieces and stir well until they are coated with the spices. Keep the heat on medium-low.
- Reduce heat to low. Add in the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and stir until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Add in the crushed gur and raise heat to low-medium. Keep stirring and mixing until the gur melts then reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Keep checking and stirring every 2-3 minutes until the mangoes are soft, turn translucent and the mixture thickens a bit. This should take about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, let it cool down completely then transfer to an airtight jar and store in the fridge. It will keep well for 5-6 months.
Aam Ki Launji (Raw Mango Relish) Recipe
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly