How to Make Chutney Potato Ball Appetizers
What Are Chutney Potato Balls?
Chutney potato balls are a mouthwateringly delicious appetizer that everyone loves. Crunchy and aromatic, they are deep-fried balls of dough that are stuffed with a spicy green chutney. The dough is prepared with potatoes, rice flakes, carom seeds, red chili powder, garam masala powder, paneer, and salt; and the chutney is prepared with coriander leaves, grated coconut, ginger, green chilies, garlic, and salt.
This snack tastes amazing even without any condiments, as the balls contain chutney inside—but you can also serve them with tomato sauce.
Let's take a look at the recipe now.
- 1 potato, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup flattened rice (rice flakes), soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup paneer, grated
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder (available in Indian stores)
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut, for the chutney (stuffing)
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or a small piece of soaked tamarind
- oil for frying
- 2-3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Boil potato. Finely mash it, so that there are no lumps.
- Mix plain flour with 1/4 cup water. The mix should be thin. Set aside.
- Take chopped coriander leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic, grated coconut, tamarind or lemon juice, and salt in a mixer grinder. Make a coarse dry paste. No need to add water. This is the stuffing for the balls.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed potato, grated paneer, mashed flattened rice, garam masala powder, red chili powder, crushed carom seeds, and salt. Knead the mixture to create a firm dough. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to for 5 minutes.
- Apply oil on your palm and fingers. Divide the dough into lemon-size balls. Take one of the balls and knead it and form a disc. You can make the disc by patting the dough ball on your palm. It should be thick.
- Place some green chutney (3/4 tsp) in the center. Fold the sides, so that the chutney is evenly covered with the dough on all sides. If you see a gap, cover it with a tiny piece of dough. Prepare all the stuffed balls using the same technique.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Take one ball, dip it in the plain flour mix. Then, roll it over the bread crumbs. Press the ball on all sides, so that the crumbs nicely stick to the ball. Keep all the balls ready.
- Drop 2-3 such balls into the medium hot oil. Occasionally turn them to ensure uniform cooking. Fry them till they become golden brown. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place on a tissue paper. Repeat the process for all the balls.
- Chutney potato balls are ready to eat. Serve them hot with tomato sauce. They are awesome even without any condiments. Enjoy!
1. Knead the dough until you have a lump-free dough.
2. Make the surface of the stuffed dough balls smooth and even.
3. Crush carom seeds before adding.
4. The chutney should be dry. No need to add water.
5. Fry the balls over medium-low fire. Turn them occasionally for best results.