Rajan writes to share his knowledge of health, yoga, pranayama, alternative therapies, natural remedies, food recipes, and more.
Parathas are shallow-fried North-Indian flatbreads that can be stuffed with a variety of ingredients, including potato, cauliflower, cabbage, and paneer. In this Punjabi recipe, the paratha is stuffed with grated mooli, or radish.
Parathas are a traditional breakfast food. Combined with dahi (yoghurt), pickle, and lassi, it makes a hearty and satisfying meal.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- atta (whole wheat flour dough), as needed
- 2 mooli (radishes)
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp mango powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped hara dhania (cilantro)
- 1 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- vegetable oil, as needed
- Wash the radishes, peel, chop off the ends, and grate with a large-holed grater. Squeeze out all of the water and transfer the grated radish to a bowl.
- Add in all the spices and salt. Mix by hand until completely combined. Set aside.
- Heat a tawa (pan) over low heat and prepare the parathas while the tawa heats up.
- Take enough dough, dust in dry flour, and roll out to make a round disc (roti) about 5-6 inches in diameter. Prepare one more.
- Spread 1/4 of the stuffing over one roti and place the other roti over it. Seal the edges.
- Roll out into a medium-thin paratha about 7-8 inches in diameter.
- Grease the hot tawa with a little oil, then place the paratha on it. Raise the heat to medium-low and cook for 15-20 seconds. Flip it over and cook the other side for 15-20 seconds, as well.
- Now flip the paratha, spread a little oil over it, flip it over, and spread a little oil over this side, too.
- Cook the paratha by flipping frequently until it is roasted crisp and brown all over. Prepare the other 3 parathas similarly.
- Serve the parathas with plain dahi (yoghurt), pickle, homemade white butter, and a tall glass of chilled lassi for a hearty and complete Punjabi breakfast or meal.
Authentic Punjabi Mooli Paratha: Stuffed Radish Paratha
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly