Authentic Punjabi Pyaz Ka Paratha (Onion Paratha Recipe)
What Is Pyaz Ka Paratha?
Pyaz ka paratha is a delicious spiced onion paratha that is a traditional Punjabi breakfast. Easy to prepare, these stuffed flatbreads are perfect for a lunch box or an afternoon snack, as well.
Serve it with dahi (yoghurt) and some pickle. I hope you try this recipe and give your feedback in the comments section below.
- Atta (whole wheat flour dough), as needed
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur (mango powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hara dhania (cilantro), finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Oil, as required
- If you do not have atta, the ready-made dough, the first step is to prepare your dough. Once the dough is ready, set it aside and prepare the stuffing.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped onion, ginger paste, ajwain, amchur, garam masala, salt, hara dhania, red chilli powder. green chilli, and coriander powder. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat a tawa (skillet) over low heat and start making the paratha.
- Dust your hands with dry flour. Take a little dough, roll it into a ball, flatten it a bit, and dust with dry flour. Roll it out into a roti about 6 inches round.
- Place half the stuffing in the centre of the roti and lift the edges to close it on the top. Dust in dry flour and roll it out into a slightly thick paratha, about 7-8 inches in diameter.
- Brush the hot tawa with a little oil and put the paratha on it. Let it cook for about 20 seconds.
- Flip the paratha and cook the other side for 20 seconds.
- Flip the paratha a third time and spread about 1 teaspoon of oil over it; then flip it one more time and spread about 1 teaspoon of oil over this side, too.
- Cook the paratha by flipping frequently until crisp and brown on both sides. Press any undercooked areas with a flat ladle so that the paratha is well cooked all over.
- Prepare the second paratha similarly and serve them with homemade dahi (yoghurt) and mango pickle or any pickle of your choice.
Authentic Punjabi Pyaz Ka Paratha (Onion Paratha)
© 2020 Rajan Singh Jolly