Rajan loves cooking dishes from his native Indian cuisine. He enjoys sharing his favourite recipes with his online readers.
Traditional Punjabi Flatbread Crumble
Churi is a traditional Punjabi roti dish made by crumbling fresh hot pearl millet flour roti with desi ghee (clarified butter) and jaggery (sugar). Loved by children and adults alike, churi is traditionally—even to this day—prepared by hand with just a few basic ingredients.
Do try it and share your experience.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 cup bajra (pearl millet flour)
- 1/4 tsp saunf (fennel seed powder), optional
- tolerably hot water, as needed, for making the dough
- dry bajra flour, as needed, for rolling the roti
- 1/4 cup gur (jaggery), crushed
- 2 to 3 tbsp desi ghee, as needed, for roasting rotis
- 2 to 3 tbsp desi ghee (clarified butter), as needed, for making the crumble
- 5 badam (almonds), skinned and sliced
- 5 pista (pistachios), skinned and sliced
- In a kneading plate, add the bajra flour and saunf powder. Mix and then add hot water a little at a time. Mix until the flour comes together. Knead this sticky and rough dough for 4-5 minutes until it turns soft and smooth. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough again for a few seconds and divide it into two equal portions. Keep a griddle to heat up on low-medium heat.
- Take one portion of the dough, roll it into a ball, flatten it a bit and dust with dry flour. Roll it with a rolling pin into a medium-thick roti about 5-6 inches around.
- When the griddle is hot, raise the heat to medium, spread about 1/2 tbsp desi ghee over it and put the roti on it. Cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Flip the roti and cook the other side for 15-20 seconds.
- Flip the roti again. Spread about 1/2 tbsp desi ghee on the roti and flip it again, spreading 1/2 tbsp desi ghee on this side as well.
- Cook the roti by flipping it frequently until it is crisp and golden. Transfer it to a plate. Prepare the second roti similarly.
- When the second roti is ready do not remove it. Place the previously cooked roti on top and then heat it by flipping it a few times until both rotis are nice and hot.
- Transfer both the rotis to a large mixing bowl. Crumble the hot rotis by hand until they are broken into large pieces. Add in 2 tbsp desi ghee, gur and about 3/4 of the sliced nuts. Crumble the rotis again along with the other ingredients until all of the ingredients are mixed well. Add more desi ghee if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the remaining nuts and serve hot.
Bajra Roti Ki Churi (Sweet Pearl Millet Flatbread Crumble)
© 2022 Rajan Singh Jolly